MacBook Pro Hard Drive Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I am running a 2.3 GHz MacBook Pro and currently I have a 200 GB 4200RPM internal drive (impossible to edit video with), but I only have about 45 GB free on it and am looking for an upgrade. My main goal of the upgrade is to be able to realistically edit with Final Cut Pro on the internal drive (both speed and storage space). I have two options, either a 320GB drive @ 7200 RPM or a 500GB drive @ 5400 RPM. I am only dealing with compressed SD footage and Motion graphics. I also do not want to get rid of any data from my internal drive (most of it is my iTunes library which I often use for editing), so which drive would be the best option? Or please let me know if a SATA 7200RPM 500GB drive exists.

--Thanks.

2. xavious85 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same predicament.

I have a 5400 internal drive, and have an external 7200 drive that has all my editable media on it. Running on an external isn't so bad if your editing in SD. But for HD stuff, you might need something faster than an external running USB 2.0 which is what I'm facing right now.

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I edit on an external FireWire RAID at home, but on the go I edit on another external drive right now, and would love to be able to ditch the second external drive.