Macbook Pro Hard Drive Click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by playm0de, Aug 24, 2007.

1. playm0de macrumors member

I have a few week old SR MBP and occasionally (maybe every 3-4 minutes) the hard drive will make a clicking/scratching noise. I am doing nothing except using Adium and Safari. I have run Disk Utlity and everything checks out, but I was wondering if I should be worried about this?

Also, it is reasonable for the the MBP fans to be more audible than my iMac's fans, right?

2. Mxsix macrumors member

Mxsix

Not sure about the hard drive. Sounds normal. Is the clicking pretty quiet?

The fans, are you hearing them running off the battery or plugged in? The SR MBP has a tendency to rev its fans VERY high when plugged in due to the fact that the Memory Controller gets hot from charging. (the fan speeds are sensitive to the memory controller)

3. playm0de thread starter macrumors member

It's not loud, but I can definitely hear it clicking.

And yes, I am running the MBP plugged in.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

The clicking is normal, just the drive reading and writing, the fans being loud as well occasionally is normal as well. Wouldnt worry about either of those things.

Enjoy the Mac!! :apple:

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I remember last time I heard my hard drive click was right after I lost all my data! This was way back in the ol windows '95 days though... I dunno how loud it would be, but I don't hear any clicking at all from my macbook's hard drive...