MacBook Pro Hard Drive Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyh2, Nov 7, 2007.

1. andyh2 macrumors member

Hi all. I've recently been getting a clicking noise from my hard drive, and when it happens 90% of the time my mac crashes for about 10 seconds. First thing I did was verify my disk in disk utility and I got a response I'm not entirely clear of the meaning so I've attached a screenshot of what my response is. I'm going to try some other 3rd party app to see whats up with my hard drive such as techtool pro...I'm on a 2.33 ghz 15" macbook pro with leopard.

Attached Files:

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

A clicking hard drive usually (in my experience) means that it's about to die.

Back everything up while you still have the chance and have it looked at asap.

Cheers.

3. emac82 macrumors 6502

A clicking drive is usually the sign of a failing drive. Back up your data, to be safe.

4. andyh2 thread starter macrumors member

I'll do a full time machine backup tonight. I'll see if I can get a replacement drive ASAP.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I concur - I call that the "click of death" Back up what you can, while you can.

Maybe - and I mean maybe - a re-format and reinstall will identify any bad sectors and allow you to go on.

But odds are very-much against you that death is eminent.

6. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but I know most of you would only tell me to mroogle if I started a new one.

I'm also experiencing clicking on from my HD. This is a new drive I purchased (but left sealed in the box) a while back. It's only been in use for a week and I'm noticing periodic clicking like the hard drive reads and then the write heads stop, as if the drive thinks it's falling.
    The drive is still spining but just the heads come to an abrupt stop, though I have not being getting beach balls.

Is the clicking always a sign of a failing drive, is there anyway to check before it does?

Thanks.

7. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Id back up just to be safe. Boot into machine via cd and run disk utility. Not just repair permissions and see what it says . Drives should not be that noisy that you are noticing clicking noises .

Aussie_geek