Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Right so I have a friend MacBook Pro here, it looks like the Hard Drive has failed as it will not boot. You simply get the Folder with ? inside.

Disk Utility also fails to detect the hard drive.

The MacBook Pro is a 13-inch, Mid 2012 and has the following hard drive 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive.

I tried to get him to purchase an SSD but he was not interested. He wants another Hard Drive either 500gb or 1tb, but which brand/models are best for the MacBook Pro?

All suggestions welcome!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Right so I have a friend MacBook Pro here, it looks like the Hard Drive has failed as it will not boot. You simply get the Folder with ? inside.

The MacBook Pro is a 13-inch, Mid 2012 and has the following hard drive 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive.

I tried to get him to purchase an SSD but he was not interested. He wants another Hard Drive either 500gb or 1tb, but which brand/models are best for the MacBook Pro?

All suggestions welcome!

Any 2.5'' hard drive under 12.5mm thick will fit. Buy whatever fits his needs and budget and has a decent warranty. A hard drive's a hard drive.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

All suggestions welcome!

I have good luck with Western Digital. Essentially, any answer you get here is going to be mixed... Some are WD people, others Seagate, others HGST (WD Company).

Maybe go with a hybrid drive this time around?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I'd recommend the Hitachi 7200rpm 1TB, I have it, works great, low power and noise and is significantly faster than a 5400rpm drive....

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Thanks peeps! Will offer him this selection and let him choose :)

Thanks Again!

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Sorry one more question.

Should I be looking at SATA 2 or SATA 3?

Thanks

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Sorry one more question.

Should I be looking at SATA 2 or SATA 3?

Thanks

For hard drives it really doesn't matter unless it is a hybrid drive. The majority of all hard drives cannot saturate a SATA-II connection. In other word, for a classic hard drive, SATA II is fine. For an SSD or hybrid, it is best to go SATA III.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Another vote for the HGST 1 TB/7200 RPM. Reasonably quick, lots of space, affordable, and decent warranty.

I have also had good success with the WD Black 750 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.