Macbook Pro hard drive noise, everything slows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kockgunner, Nov 14, 2009.

1. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro and recently, it seems like there are random 5 minute sessions where the hard drive would make noises as if
    Spotlight is indexing. However, during this time, nothing is happening. Just me browsing the web, not doing anything special. When the hard drive does this, the whole computer slows. It can still be used, but opening new tabs in Safari can take a good 5 seconds and same with opening programs and finder windows and sometimes I even get the beachball.

Sometimes the computer doesn't slow down, but the noise is just not acceptable especially when I'm not video editing or anything. I look under Activity Monitor and it seems like there is a lot of data being read and written.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I don't recall this happening under Leopard, only Snow Leopard.

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

If you haven't got a backup, do it now. Sounds like your HDD is about to die.

3. robbyrob macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro Hard Drive noise and slow down

I am experiencing the same issues. I will be doing simple tasks (web browsing) and my hard drive will make some noises and then everything will start to run slow and get the beach ball when trying to do simple tasks. Any ideas what it could be?