MacBook Pro Hard Drive Noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mugs, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hi, I recently bought a WD 500gb 5400rpm scorpio blue drive. But since installing it in my MacBook Pro I have noticed a "woosh" noise which happnes for a bit then stops, then starts up again after a few seconds. Also I have noticed OS X hangs every now and then, which I'm sure didn't happen before. Hope someone is able to help because I don't want the hard drive to wear itself out by needlessly spinning. Thanks a lot.

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

There's a problem. I have the same drive, but not the same problem. Try running disk repair. If that doesn't work, send the hard drive back for replacement.

3. MacBird macrumors 6502

This does not sound good. Have you checked the SMART status?

4. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey. How would I check the SMART status. Also I have had it around 3 months now, would I still be able to send it back to amazon? Thanks a lot

5. MacBird macrumors 6502

In Disk Utility, click on the name of the HDD and you should see it in the lower right corner.

I'm not sure if Amazon or WD would replace it but it should still be under warranty. Don't forget to back up your files often in case the drive fails. :)

6. amt2002 macrumors member

I've just bought this drive off Amazon and have the EXACT same issues. And we're not the only ones - I've just read numerous complaints about this drive on here (at least regarding the spinning up and general noise level).

But at the same time there are lots of positive stories about this drive from people who know what they're talking about so it has me wondering what's going on!

However, I'm sure it's not just me being paranoid - the noise is very noticeable and the constant hangs are getting annoying - and I've only had the drive less than a week. I'll give it another week but I think I'm going to reinsert the old drive and rely on an external drive for my extra storage :(

7. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey. Yer it says verified next to SMART status. I think I might see about getting a replacement. I think that my best bet. :) thanks a lot for all the advice and help.

8. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Lots of people are complaining about the whooshing sound this drive makes, and some aren't bothered by it.