Macbook pro hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wozzerage, Feb 24, 2013.

1. wozzerage macrumors newbie

I have recently purchaced a 1TB 2.5" Samsung 5400rpm SATA II from amazon on the strength that the reviews said that it would work in my Macbook Pro (purchased early 2010)
    I have removed my 160GB Hitatchi that was standard issue when i bought the macbook pro.

When i have turned my mac back on the apple logo with spinning loading wheel has come up and then a flashing folder with a question mark, i then turned off my mac, inserted my mac start up disk and restarted my mac for it to show the apple symbol and loading wheel. it lasts around 30secs-1min then turns off my mac again without me pressing anything?

Any help will be gratefully received as i need my mac for university work!

Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Here's a simple approach:
    1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
    2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
    3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
    4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
    5. Boot from the new internal drive.
    6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

3. wozzerage thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course. That was a suggestion to make it easier to restore not only your OS, but your apps, settings, documents, etc. Did you hold the option key while booting, to select your DVD as the boot device? Also, what version of Mac OS X are you reinstalling? Where did the install DVD come from?

5. wozzerage thread starter macrumors newbie

disk

To be honest i have everything backed up on an external harddrive anyway and i have everything time machined too!

I am using Snow leopard, the disk came with my mac when i purchased it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac Basics: Time Machine

7. wozzerage thread starter macrumors newbie

response

my mac doesnt seem to want to respond to command-r ??

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Command-R boots into the recovery partition, which your Mac doesn't have. As I said before, hold the option key during boot up to select your install disc as your boot drive.

9. wozzerage thread starter macrumors newbie

disk used...

Okay, i have pressed option/alt as it boots up and clicked the disk icon that comes up on screen, the mac then shows the apple symbol and loading wheel for around 2mins then goes black......i can hear the disk still being used...it this a good thing? there are no other lights on the mac at all?!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You selected which disk icon? For your hard drive or the optical drive with your install disc? If you selected the optical drive and it doesn't respond after 5-10 minutes, you may have a damaged or defective install disc, or you may have a problem with your optical drive.

11. wozzerage thread starter macrumors newbie

disk

When i hold option there are two icons, a square box with a disk in it saying Mac OSX installation disk and then an arrow underneath pointing to it. I obviously click the disk and then the mac goes blank after about 2 mins and still has no sign of turning back on!

I got some information earlier that said /dev/disk1s3 (no write) i dont know if you know what that means?