Macbook Pro Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by froznkhemistry, Dec 28, 2009.

1. froznkhemistry macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

Hey guys,

I just finished replacing my Macbook Pro stock hard drive to a nice new Seagate Momentus with the 7200rpm. I have a question about loading up the new operating system. Do you have to use the CD that came with the computer, or can you use a retail Snow Leopard CD?

Also, for some weird reason, even when I plug in my external hard drive, and boot the computer up while pressing alt, it only shows my mouse moving around, not the external. Is something wrong with my external hard drive? That has my backups on it. :eek:

Thanks for your time.

Froznkhemistry

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

You can use a Retail version of Snow leopard as it will have all the required drivers and software for your specific machine.......

As far as the external drive I am going to guess sense there is no operating system the computer does not know what to do with the external drive plugged in. Try installing the OS and then plug in your external drive and access it through OS X

3. AlienSexGod macrumors member

AlienSexGod

Retail 10.6.0 SL won't be advanced enough for the latest MBs

If yours is older n came with 10.5.8 say then you are OK

nfi on the spinning external ... I would disconnect everything usb but mouse n kybd and all other drives and retry.

4. steverunner macrumors newbie

5. froznkhemistry thread starter macrumors newbie

froznkhemistry

Oh, I used a guide on iFixit. Anyways, thanks for the answers. I've already changed back for the moment since I'm on vacation and don't have any of the discs with me, but I'll be using the Snow Leopard retail disc. I have an older version of the Macbook pro. 2008 Perynn.