MacBook Pro hard drive swap & inital boot up question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YoNadz, Jul 19, 2009.

1. YoNadz macrumors regular

I am swapping the 160gb HD for a Seagate 500gb 7200 HD in my new 13" MacBook Pro. Before doing so I will back up with Time Machine to my external drive. From what I understand, after installing the new HD, I will boot up and run the OS disc that game with my MacBook, then run Time Machine to restore my files. My question is, will Time Machine also reinstall iWork? I no longer have the disc for it and need to know if I will have to get back my copy. Will it also install other program such as MacTheRipper, Toast, etc. or will I also have to redownload these too?? Also, will the OS remember all of my system preferences or will I have to reselect them?? Are there any tutorials on here or YouTube for this reinstallation and recovery of a hard drive?? I searched but came up empty handed. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

The proper procedure I did is (I did this a couple days ago and worked well):

- Backup up everything with Time Machine.
    - Installed new drive in Macbook.
    - Booted up with OS X DVD
    - Plug in your drive that contains your backup.
    - Once it boots, go to Utilities -> Restore from Backup.
    - Let it go through the Restore.

So, no need to install the OS fresh and then do a TM restore, you can do the restore just as you're booting off the DVD.

The Time Machine backup contains everything you had in your old drive (data, programs settings). Everything. Works great too.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you have all those apps installed when the TM backup is made, the restore will copy them over.

4. YoNadz thread starter macrumors regular

awesome. By doing this will the restore automatically format the new drive, or will I also have to do that?