Macbook Pro Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andcraig, Jun 16, 2008.

1. andcraig macrumors regular

So, My 160 gigs is getting cramped and I want to upgrade this sucker.

I understand that doing it myself voids the warranty, but has anyone done it? How hard is it to actually do.

Also, I don't think there are any 3rd party Apple repair places near me, but there are 2 apple stores, will they do an upgrade for me if I bring in the drive I want put in or would I have to slip the genius a 50, haha.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No upgrading your HDD does not void your warranty (official response from Apple)

And it's very easy. Just make sure you use the right tools, have good workbench, and don't lose the screws.

3. andcraig thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Everything I've read says it does, since you need to crack the whole thing open to do it. I thought just the MB had it sanctioned. Any link to this?

If so, awesome.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No links, but you're welcome to call Apple Support to verify ;)

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I'd like to see that official statement. I've swapped my drive, but have heard about an equal amount of statements from people declaring it does or doesn't void warranty.

I suspect if you take a warranty issue to a Genius Bar it's going to depend on the person working on it. If it has to go back to Apple you could be SOL. I have my original OEM drive with a clean install of Leopard ready to reinstall if I have to take my computer in for repair.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go to the Genius bar, call Apple Support, do what you will; they all say it's okay as long as you don't break it.

7. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

People do not get consistent answers. You say they'll tell you it's OK. Others have asked and gotten the opposite answer, from both retail stores and Apple Support.

I take it then, you really don't know of an official response. Rather, you only have individual responses from Apple employees. That doesn't equate to "official."

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the Apple Limited Warranty:

EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS

This Limited Warranty applies only to hardware products manufactured by or for Apple that can be identified by the "Apple" trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to them. The Limited Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple hardware products or software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware. Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to the end user purchaser, but Apple, in so far as permitted by law, provides their products "as is". Software distributed by Apple with or without the Apple brand name (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered under this Limited Warranty.

This warranty does not apply: (d) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider ("AASP"); (e) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; ...

From the AppleCare Protection Plan:

b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification,...

So it sounds like replacing a hard drive would not be covered by the warranty or the AppleCare, but since the hard drive is not an Apple-branded component, it sounds like it's not technically covered by the warranty anyway. Of course, they can choose to replace a defective drive, but it looks like the "fine print" gives them the option not to.

In any event, there's not a clear statement that replacing the hard drive would void the rest of the warranty.... only that the replacement or any damage caused by the replacement would not be covered.

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Why do so many people get hung up over this warranty business,it only voids the warranty if you screw something up in the process of replacing the drive,simple solution if you need to take it in for repair for whatever reason swap back to original parts

10. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

For instructions on the process itself, do a google search. There are a ton of sites out there with walkthroughs on how to do this (video and/or photo).

One thing that you want to make sure of is having the proper tools. I believe that a few of the screws you have to remove are *tiny* Torx screws, which most people don't have easy access to.

If you're not comfortable with taking electronics apart, then I wouldn't recommend this. If you've done things like this before though, then have at 'er. Let us know how it goes.

btw - for what's its worth, I've heard conflicting stories about the validity of AppleCare after performing an upgrade like this as well. If you're really concerned about that, then you could always go with an external HDD and put your least-used data on there. Its an option at least.

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

I've asked two Apple employees this question -- a genius at my local Apple Store, and a customer relations representative and received the same answer from both. Replacing the hard drive yourself doesn't void the warranty. However, damage relating to abuse, accidents, etc. will void the warranty, and non-Apple hard drives aren't covered either.

Having said that, the fact that people have received different answers from Apple employees indicates that there isn't a clear cut corporate policy. While the terms of the Applecare warranty state that a product isn't covered which "has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple", the fact remains that Apple in fact publishes information available for end users which gives clear instructions how to replace a hard drive. This is of course applicable only to certain models, but it nonetheless indicates that replacement hard drives are not considered to "alter functionality or capability". If it's really that much of a concern, you could always ask for written permission from Apple to cover your bases before upgrading you MBP hard drive, as it clearly states in the Applecare terms.

Now if only people would bother to read the documentation included with their machines before asking these questions...

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First of all, what any individual Apple employee says is meaningless when it comes to enforcing a warranty... what's in writing is what stands up in court (if it ever went that far.) The classic corporate line is, "I'm sorry you were given the wrong information. I'll talk with that employee about giving the wrong answer."

Apple DOES have a clear cut corporate policy.. it's written in the Apple Limited Warranty and in the AppleCare Protection Plan agreements, which I quoted verbatim.

Finally, I'd love to see a link to any information that Apple publishes on how to replace a hard drive. Hearing someone say it exists is fine, but I'd like to see it for myself.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So pretty much you want an official statement from Apple on this? I don't think you'll get one. It's too hard to manage, because people who break their computers might end up at the Apple Store complaining about broken stuff they did and Apple may not have any way to verify it.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I'd just like to see an Apple support article or something that proves aquajet's claim. I've searched and I've found nothing published by Apple with such instructions.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I never found those instructions either; I know they publish them for the Mac Pro and Xserve--not very useful :rolleyes:

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

I never said that what an individual Apple employee says is meaningful when it comes to enforcing a warranty.

You just said yourself...

Which is my point. Regardless, it is my opinion that no language exists in the Applecare terms which would allow Apple to void an individual's warranty for merely replacing a hard drive in a MBP. If you want to fully protect yourself, then simply ask for permission in writing directly from Apple. The end user is fully entitled to do so, as stated in the Applecare terms.

DIY guide to replacing a hard drive in a Mac Pro

DIY guide to replacing a hard drive in a MacBook

DIY guide to replacing a hard drive in an XServe

There are direct links available for these manuals on the main product support pages at apple.com, along with many other DIY parts replacement manuals.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for the links. That's what I was looking for. I wonder why there's none for the MacBook Pro?

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I think it's very telling...because Apple doesn't intend for hard drives to be user replaceable parts in a MacBook Pro.

19. aquajet macrumors 68020

No trouble. :)

Replacing the hard drive in the MBP is more difficult than the MB and requires exposing all the delicate internal bits. I bet that Apple would prefer that most people not poke around inside the MBP for fear of accidental damage, and therefore they don't publish instructions for the end user.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That was my assumption, as well. I'm guessing it would affect Apple's stance on warranty issues, if someone replaced a hard drive on a MBP. At least with the other models, you could argue, "if you didn't intend for us to replace it ourselves, you wouldn't have published the instructions!"

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

this warranty thing has rumbled on for god knows how long,it's pretty simple if you wanna replace it yourself just make sure you don't screw it up & if you do you swap back to the old drive and then take it for repair

22. ruftytufty macrumors member

I had the same question when I bought my 15" Santa Rosa MBP in June 2007. I called AppleCare, and got them to email me their response:

Case # 79617579: Having a non-apple hard drive installed would not void the warranty under 2 conditions: 1. The installation did not physically damage any other parts inside the machine 2. The hard drive itself under normal usage did not cause any damage to the machine causing a part to fail, if it did that part would not be covered 3. It is suggested to be done by an AASP, but if it is not done there and does not damage the machine that would still be fine. Most customers do not have the proper grounding mats and equipment to make the installation themselves typically.

-----

Summary: doing it yourself doesn't void the warranty, as long as you don't break it. And, I've got a case # and email to fall back on in case someone tries to deny my warranty because of the HD replacement.

I did the replacement (120 to 250GB Hitachi - nice performance improvement), no problems, and my warranty is now expired, so I never got to "test" the issue.

23. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

I replaced the HD in my nearly 2 year old 17" MBP and it was too easy for words. I'm really not some amazing genius with these things, it was just that simple -with the right torx and phillips bits. Make sure you've got the right tools, the rest is easy. Don't let it intimidate you. I went from 160 to 320 and partitioned 80 off to Windoz XP using Boot Camp. Works great, fast, quiet, you won't regret it. Magson - Moss (I know I spelled that wrong) Act protects you by saying that if what you did didn't cause any damage, the warranty won't be voided. No matter what you're modding, a car or a computer.

24. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

25. automatickyle macrumors regular

I wanted to bump this thread as I am about to replace my drive. It seems that newegg.com seems to be the favorite. Has anyone ever used www.tigerdirect.com ? I am thinking of the WD Scorpio or some type of Seagate.

Also, this is my first time upgrading my hard drive. I have still have the 100GB that came with it. What does everyone suggest on the rpm speed? I am assuming this all depends on what type of work you will be doing with you computer. My other dilemma is with putting all my files back to the new drive. I am thinking about putting a fresh install of Leopard on the new drive and putting my files on there. I consistently have time machine backing up, but where do I go from there?

Thanks for any tips. I will keep searching the boards here to see what else I can find.