MacBook Pro hard drive usage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Thiol, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Hi all. When I get info for my hard drive, it says that I'm using 37 GB on disk. However, when I add up everything all the folders in my hard drive, I only get 29 GB. Where is all this other space going?

2. raziel777 macrumors regular

3. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I counted all the folders on the hard drive, not just the ones in my user folder.

4. raziel777 macrumors regular

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Many files and folders are hidden from the user.

6. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

No partitions. And don't hidden files still show up in the folder size sums? Is there something funny... For some reason I recall something about RAM taking up space so that it can be written there when the computer goes to sleep. Am I making that up?

Sorry for the silly question. This one has just been bugging me for a while. I get the feeling that this is laptop-specific because it didn't happen on my Mac Pro...

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What about the root folder? How did you measure its size?

8. Thiol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thiol

You got it! OK, so I measured the size of the root folder, and found a couple of large hidden folders. Spot on! 1 GB is in ./usr and 7 GB are in ./private. What is in those folders?

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

System directories. Part of the underlying Unix OS.

10. msb65 macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

I have a similar concern. I have a brand new white MB with an advertised 120 GB HD. However, when I go to "About this Mac" it indicates that the HD capacity is actually 111.79 GB. Why is there this discrepancy?

More troubling is that I currently have 87 GB free on the HD. The only things I have installed are MS Office and some Garage Band files. Nothing on the order of 10's of GB.

I understand that OS X takes up some room, but it seems like 1/4 of my HD is gone without me ever really using this computer. Any ideas on what is up?

Thanks.
    Mike

11. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

That is completely normal. I have heard a few reasons why it is displayed that way, but it has something to do with the file system or it just being rounded up. About 111 gigs is normal, it's not os x specific, windows does it as well.

As forthe ten gigs "missing", I could see garage band taking up that much space, along side os x and ms office.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

13. msb65 macrumors member

It's more like 20 GBs (I have ~87 GB of my 111 GB HD). Is there any way to determine what is using up this space?

Thanks for your help!

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use a program like Grand Perspective and see for yourself what's taking up the space. Do you use bittorrent? Lots of bittorrent clients create large dummy files when you first start downloading them.