Macbook Pro Hard Drives - Stock Harddrive: Seagate vs Hitachi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Aug 8, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

Alright so just a random question. I have 2 macbook pros, both 2011 (have to send the one back soon cause it was a replacement for my original)

anyways i checked the specs on both and apparently one macbook has a seagate hard drive and the other has the hitachi hardd drive. they are both 500gb 5400rpm (i know for some of you this is sluggish but its lots of space and fast enough for me).

Im just wondering, is one better than the other in anyway, whether its speed or reliability?

My new replacement macbook pro has the seagate so i will keep that one no matter one but, I was just curious.

NOTE - one thign i found interesting was the safety cut off automactic thing where it stops the hard drive from spinning if the macbook gets suddnely moved around to hard. The hitachi one makes a quick "click" sound. The seagate requires more "force" of a sudden move to the safety kick in, but you hear a more like a quick sqeal sound.

Anyway, your thoughts folks?

UPDATE -- just punched in the model number in google and led me to seagates website for the model. heres what they say:

Momentus 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive

The 500-GB Seagate® Momentus® 5400.6 drive offers the best combination of performance, capacity, mobility and durability in a laptop hard drive to meet the demanding requirements of today’s notebook multimedia usage models. Able to withstand up to 1000 Gs of shock and offered with G-Force Protection™ drop sensor technology, this highly reliable 2.5-inch drive is perfect for notebook or external storage applications.

Sounds like a good har ddrive? lol

2. miles01110, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, because neither Seagate nor Hitachi is better than the other in either speed nor reliability.

3. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

how so?

4. brucebuffer macrumors newbie

why would you purposely shake the laptop to make it do that? next you will complain your hard drive has seized up or something similar.

5. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

complain? dude unless u got something to positie that answers the question to this thread, than dont post.

macbooks get shaken all the time, its a mobile computer.

the hard drives have an auto stop safety feature that stops the HD from spinning when it detects a sudden movement

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

How do macbooks get shaken all the time? Maybe in transit in my bag they get jostled, but not shaken. If you are doing it while it is running you deserve to have the thing break on you.

7. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

ok one that doesnt answer the question of the thread

and two, i obviously dont shake it all the time, i was merely pointing out th safety feature on the hard drive that automactially locks it if it detects a high g force.. what a noob.

8. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

So which is it?
    or this,
    There seems to be some type of contradiction in your statement now.

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

To answer the question:

Neither Seagate nor Hitachi have "one up" on each other in either speed or reliability. We have reached a point with hard drives where the differences in quality between different manufacturers are so slight, they are neglectable.

10. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

bad choice of word

----------

thankyou for an actual post that answers my question