Macbook Pro Hardrive drama

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcdfox, Nov 7, 2018.

1. rcdfox macrumors newbie

rcdfox

I have a mid 12 13" pro, which I upgraded to 16 gb of ram and 2 500gb Hard drives. Recently I replaced one of 500gb drives with a 1TB drive and now it appears it may have crashed. I am hopeful someone may have some better news. When I boot in disk recovery to check the drive, here is what I see.

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 7.33.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 7.33.01 AM.png

If the drive has failed, is it at least possible to recover data from it, or is it just toast. I have not backed this drive up.

If your curious the 500gb you see works fine and checks out with verify disk. I appreciate any feedback in advance.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

When you select the partition, do you get an error message when you press "Mount" at the top?

3. rcdfox thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdfox

When I select partition in the top image, I don't get an option to select mount. When I select the disk13s1 I get the option to mount, which does nothing.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.41.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 8.41.00 AM.png

4. antonis macrumors 68020

antonis

What happens if you try to create a new partition layout ? (assuming you don't have any data in there that need to be saved).

5. rcdfox thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdfox

I have not tried that in part because that is my primary hard drive with my Mac OS and files. I don't have a ton of info I am worried about losing, but some I'd really rather retrieve if its possible.

6. EEzycade macrumors regular

EEzycade

7. antonis macrumors 68020

antonis

You could try and install Mac OS on an external disk (e.g. usb), and see if you can retrieve any data, then try to re-partition the disk. It might be a h/w failure but it might be just a partitioning table issue that can be resolved with re-partitioning and format.

8. rcdfox thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdfox

In a bit of weird but good news, I took my TB drive out, checked it on using an external housing on my wife’s MacBook Air and the data is still there and functional! When I connected it to my computer as an external drive, in recovery mode, my computer showed it as an unmounted external drive.

When I took it out, I replaced it with the original 500gb drive and what do you know, in recovery, it shows unmounted also. So now my question is why my drives show as unmounted, and what do I need to do to resolve it?

9. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

10. MichaelDT macrumors regular

It’s the cable. Known defect with age.

11. rcdfox thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdfox

You guys are on the money. THANK YOU! Cable ordered. I swapped my TB and 500gb drives around (the one I have housed in the disk drive bay) and BAM! I am typing this on my previously down computer. Thanks again.