Macbook Pro Hardrive Upgrade/ Best Option

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jonknox, May 11, 2009.

1. Jonknox macrumors member

I am looking to upgrade my Macbook Pro's Hardrive to at least 320gb. I am willing to do the labor myself as it does not seem that hard and does not require any fancy tools. I was wanting to get input on what the best option for me would be considering price and value. I do not have an external Hard drive so I would need a hard drive that can connect via USB. I have looked at the ones at MCE Technologies and those seem pretty good and inexpensive, but I wanted to know of my other options and to see if there is a cheaper route. Than You!

Also, will I need a copy of Mac OSX Leopard when booting from my new Hardrive, even if I have transferred everything to the new Hardrive?

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I've never heard of MCE, but that seems about right. All you really need is drive, screwdriver, and an enclosure if you want to go that route. No, if you're going to be cloning the data from the old hard drive to the new, you won't need a copy of Leopard to do so. Carbon Copy Cloner will do.

3. JCastro macrumors 6502a

If I were you I would go ahead and go with a 500gb HDD. If you are going through all the pain and expense of putting a new one in you might as well put the best thing in you can. The difference in price is fairly minimal.

If you have a Unibody MBP doing the change yourself should be fairly easy. If you have previous version it is not so easy. Not that it is hard. There are just a lot of screws and parts that you have to take out just to do it. It just becomes tedious work and you need to be very conscious of where everything goes. iFixit has lots of tutorials one it if you decide to do it. Good luck!

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Been looking into this myself, best options for 7200rpm drives seem to be either the Seagate Momentus or Western Digital Scorpio Black, for 5200rpm then Western Digital Scorpio Blue