macbook pro hardrive wiped, can i use the iphone to replace my info?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iRhyknow, Oct 19, 2009.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I had to send my computer to apple for a repair and it came back wiped clean.
    Due to the problem it was having I was unable to back up, I found this out when I tried to and my external hd back up failed :(. I have everything on my iPhone that I really need, iTunes and iPhoto library. I is there anyway to take that from my iPhone and put it on my computer?

Thanks so much. Im really freaked out seven years worth of stuff gone :(

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you try to sync the phone with a different computer/user, it will ask you if you want to transfer contact/calendar information to the computer.

Songs can not be transfered by themselves. If they were purchased songs from the iTunes store (same goes with the applications and such) there is an option in iTunes to transfer those items from the i-device.

There may be third-party applications now that can transfer unpaid songs, but that wasn't the case for a while after the iPhone came out. That may require jailbreaking/ssh'ing or something.

3. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

The songs were from iTunes or from purchased cds, so that sounds good what about the photos?

4. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Photos you should be able to transfer with Image Capture.

One thing that might help you out is a third party app. I know there's a paid app called PhoneView, but there's also a free app called iPhone Explorer that will allow you to browse some of the contents on your iPhone (like the DCIM folder where your camera roll is stored) and doesn't require the phone to be jailbroken.

iPhone Explorer : http://www.iphone-explorer.com/

PhoneView : http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Without any additional software, iTunes will only transfer purchased items from the iTunes Store; whether that be apps or music or movies. There is an option in one of iTunes' menus that will let you do this when an i-device is plugged in.

Most likely, transfers are limited at a request from the music companies to reduce piracy and people easily transferring music from computer to computer.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Thanks for that. Will have to try since I've been using Air Share which needs a wireless network. If this works, will be fantastic. Too bad the PhoneView is $20 though.