MacBook Pro Hardrives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattkidd, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Is anyone aware of the actual hardrives Apple ship with their 2010 13" Mac Book Pro's, im hoping to upgrade my standard 250GB soon as i feel i need some more space, although i cant decide on what to purchase, im worried about battery drain and too much added vibration, im gathering the ones Apple ship are best suited.

I have considered the Hybrid drive momentus or something or other and i can see the benefits although im worried about the battery drain.

I am looking for about 500GB and maybe a little more with added performance from 5400rmp (7200rpm) i dont really want to go for a primary solid state at this time, due to price.

Would really appreciate some advice.

Regards

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just upgraded my MBP with the Seagate Momentus HDD a few weeks ago and it's been great so far. 500GB, 7200 RPM.

With the faster spindle speed it will use more battery power, but I haven't noticed a big difference yet. The only thing I notice is a slight whirring sound from the faster speed, but it's not bothersome at all.

I get no vibration at all either.

3. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

hmmm i really am considering purchasing one.

How much of a drop in power capacity would you say there is?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

So far I haven't really noticed the difference power consumption. It's really negligible so far.

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I got this drive as well. I feel like it runs VERY efficient. I'm still getting 5 plus hours on my mid-09 13 inch MBP. The drive maybe cost me 15-20 minutes tops off my battery.

To me it's worth it

6. OptyCT macrumors 6502

To find out what HDD you have select :apple: - About This Mac - More Info - Serial ATA. You can then click on the selected HDD and it will give you all of the info you ever wanted to know about it.

7. seydurin macrumors member

they use Seagate momentuses. I just upgraded from the stock 250gb momentus to a 640gb momentus, and there's no perceivable difference other than storage capacity.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I personally have a WD Scorpio Black, which is a great drive. It's nearly as quiet as the stock drive and doesn't have much more vibration. I haven't noticed a difference in battery life at all, even with the higher speed, so there is an option. I have heard that the hybrid drives do take up a bit more power though.

9. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

hybrid drives work well

I like my hybrid. Initially i thought there was a problem with it but carbon copy cloner didn't copy everything exact and my start time doubled and then some.
    I started from the beginning and loaded all the software one by one and did all the updates before using it and it is crazy! It starts in 35 sec, shuts down in almost 5. Its pretty freakin sweet! $139 from OWC. when i got it last month. Way better than an SSD at the price they go for.
    I also added 8gig ram from OWC. Everything cruzes along nicely. I was so happy about the speed i got after loading everything fresh that i did the same to my mac pro tower. That thing is like a diff computer! I guess all the permissions and other crap was troubling it. I will leave them both alone and not partition the drives that have the OS installed. When i can get a 500 gig SSD for $200 I'll spring but as it is now I think this is a good alternative. Still i prob won't have to buy an SSD since when my computer isnt good enough for what i need it for Apple will prob have all there computers with onboard SSD.

10. skunnykart macrumors regular

I have a 2010 13inch MBP and mine came with the stock 250GB Hitachi 5400rpm. I quickly replaced it with a OWC SSD.

1 month ago I ordered the 500GB Momentus Hybrid by Seagate and an optibay.

I first tried the Hybrid in the main HDD bay. It was good, and the the battery drain was hardly noticeable. I'm sure it drains more power but it wasn't noticeable in every day use so the strain on the battery must only be a very small amount. Performance was awesome! After about 4 or 5 restarts, my boot times were respectable even compared to my SSD. And OSX felt more snappy compared to the stock hitachi.

I then tried the Hybrid in the optibay. It was noisy! My MBP felt like an old kingswood.

I now have the SSD in the main bay. The stock hitachi in the optibay (absolutely silent!). The hybrid in my 2007 iMac taped in with some electrical tape in the 3.5inch bay. Compared to the stock 3.5inch Samsung, the hybrid is quiet and snappy.