MacBook Pro Hardshell Case - Similar To Power Support's MacBook Air Air Jacket?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inoc, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Inoc macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm looking for a hardshell case for my 15" 2009 MacBook Pro, ideally one that's similar to Power Support's Air Jacket for the MacBook Air. (Alas they don't make cases for the MacBook Pro, otherwise I'd buy one in a heartbeat.)

I already know about Incase and Speck, but I'm really, really wary about buying their cases again, and here's why: My first case, purchased about 5 years ago, was a Speck case. However, that case was made of this shiny, cheap-looking plastic whose durability I had significant doubts about, so I quickly traded that case for an Incase one.

I liked the Incase case a lot, until my old, "discrete" MacBook Pro was stolen. When I bought a new unibody MBP to replace the old stolen one, I also got another Incase case to go with it. However, less than a year later, that case started cracking at the corners, and pieces of the case actually came off - yet I can tell you that I baby all of my gadgets. Also, the coating that Incase puts on its cases to give it a rubber-like matte finish also started to rub/peel off.

I can tell a similar story about my ownership of Incase's cases for the iPhone. My first Incase case for the iPhone 3G was pretty awesome (if a little thick), but after dropping it one too many times, it finally cracked, so I replaced it with another Incase case, this one with a silver/mirror-like finish. Well, just a few months of ownership in, the coating once again started chipping off.

At this point, I finally got fed up with Incase, after being such an ardent fan for so long, and so I bought Power Support cases for my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S. I love the Power Support Air Jackets because they're super-thin, which is perhaps my most important criteria in selecting a case. I've also always used Power Support's screen films for my iPhones, iPad, and MBPs and adore them to bits - never, ever had a single problem with them.

Okay, you probably didn't need to know all that, but I guess I just wanted to say that I have had some prior experience with all of these brands, said experience which has soured me towards certain brands and biased me towards others. Oh, and I like Moshi too, but alas, they also don't make cases for the MBP. I seem to have this predilection for Japanese companies?

Here are my criteria in selecting a MBP case: Hardshell, thin. Form-fitting, durable. Note that I don't bang around my MBP (if anything, I baby it), but I do travel quite a bit with it, so some amount of "wear" that way is to be expected. Like I said, if Power Support had an Air Jacket for the MBP, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. But since they don't, I have to look elsewhere for an alternative.

Suggestions? And thanks for reading that super-long missive! Brownie points for you.

2. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Not sure what to say that fits your criteria, but I love my Speck case. It's got that nice finish you mentioned, but I have read about it peeling off like you said. The only thing I can really add to this thread is that their customer service is excellent and they have a one year warranty if you buy from a licensed reseller (Amazon).