Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanobo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
My MacBook Pro 2011 often does not boot up. When it boots up (After resetting SMC), it will go black out again after working for a while. I ran an extended hardware test and this error code shows up: 4MEM/61/40000000:0x8476f988

Anyone knows what it means and how shall I fix it? Thanks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
My MacBook Pro 2011 often does not boot up. When it boots up (After resetting SMC), it will go black out again after working for a while. I ran an extended hardware test and this error code shows up: 4MEM/61/40000000:0x8476f988

Anyone knows what it means and how shall I fix it? Thanks.
The error is related to your memory. It's gone bad. Luckily you can replace it in that model. If you have 2 dimms installed you could try each one separately and see if it's just one.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It could be either a memory DIMM (itself) that has a problem, or…
… it could be the RAM SLOT that has the problem (both DIMMs are still ok).

Sometimes, removing the DIMMs, cleaning the contacts, replacing them may get things going again, but, if that doesn't work...
...The only way to find out is to do a step-by-step replacement.

Example:
- remove back, remove both DIMMs (be CAREFUL when you take them out, the tabs that hold them in the slots can break off from mishandling!)
- mark the DIMMs (example, "a" and "b")
- put DIMM A into the top slot, put the back on, put a few screws in to hold it in place, boot and run. Try the hardware test. Is it error-free?
- if so, swap out DIMM B for DIMM A, put back on, retest. What are the results?

Then move to the bottom slot and repeat the process.

Obviously, this involves some work. But you need to do a "process of elimination" to find out what's wrong.

chanobo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Thank a lot for the advices, I will follow the instructions and see if I can fix it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One other thing:
I believe you'll need a Phillips #00 driver to get at the screws holding the back cover on.
Be sure to use the right size driver!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.