Macbook pro hardware failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Erukian, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Erukian macrumors newbie

I have a Santa Rosa (mid-late 2007 macbook pro) and I installed snow leopard on the 28th and then after a couple days I started getting purple video artifacts. Sometimes they would go away, other times I had to do a hard reboot. Now I came home today and my fans were running full blast and I get a kernel panic message and can't even boot off a OS DVD.

I was curious, it sounds to me like a hardware failure. I'm under applecare, I have the 2.2ghz 128mb 8600gt model. Are they still repairing this unit with the same mobo or are they upgrading to newer mobo's with faster CPU's or newer macs?

Thanks

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

It sounds like you might have a busted GFX card, but im just a lowly computer user, what do i know? :)

i'd take it to the apple shop see what the supposed genius says about the situation. It definitely sounds like graphics problem though, either that or a motherboard as you mentioned :s

Good Luck

PTP

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sounds like a GPU failure. That was an issue with SR MBPs containing certain cards.

4. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Definitely sounds like a motherboard failure.

They should repair it and will likely replace it with a new motherboard that has the same specs.

Though at this point, if its possible I'd check your finances to see if you can buy a new computer, as after reading through a little bit of this thread,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067&page=1

it sounds like even the replacements can fail.

(sorry I can't remember what page exactly where someone mentioned that, but I know its in there)

5. cmaier macrumors G3

My Santa Rosa MBP died a few weeks back. nVidia defect. Takes about 3 days to repair at the Apple store. They cover this defect for three years, whether or not you have applecare. The issue is with the solder bumps on the gfx chip. Hopefully they solved it in the replacement.