MacBook Pro Hardware Maintenance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iCeFuSiOn, Jan 23, 2008.

1. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I was wondering, what do I need to do to keep my MacBook Pro looking like new even after using it?

I know with previous notebooks that after a while from typing on them constantly that the keyboard would get "shiny spots", where my fingers would frequently tap the keys. Does this happen on the MacBook Pro as well? I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse for when I am home and have the MBP on my desk, so that I'm not constantly using my notebook's keyboard and mouse.

What products would you recommend that I could use to keep the casing and the screen clean? I don't mind wiping it down every now and then as long as it doesn't damage the beautiful casing of the MBP.

This computer wasn't cheap, and I'd like to be able to keep it looking like new. Please help. Thanks in advance. :)

2. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

iKlear

I asked pretty much the same question at the Apple Store right after I bought my beautiful new MBP. They recommended iKlear Apple Polish. It's kind of a pain to clean the screen -- a bit like waxing a car, really -- but if you follow the directions I've found this product really keeps my screen and the whole computer looking pristine. I also use a USB keyboard and mouse when I'm home but I take my laptop to class so its keys get a lot of use as well. I've only had this computer for about six months, so if any longer-term users have suggestions, I also would be interested to hear them. I paid a bundle for this :apple: beauty, and I'll do anything to keep it in good condition!

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

4. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

cms2: Do your keys show any signs of wear/use after those 6 months? I know with HP's notebook keyboards after 2 months of usage it was showing signs of wear. I've only had my MacBook Pro for a week. :p

5. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

None so far... my only complaint is that my lid doesn't quite close perfectly anymore... I'm not sure why the MBP comes with hooks rather than the more secure feeling magnetic latch of the MB... In any case, after six month this pretty much looks great. My space bar gets grimy after a few days but it always cleans right back up.

I think you're going to really be happy with how this holds up. Enjoy your new laptop...

6. iCeFuSiOn thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm probably going to hunt down some iKlear for the screen, but what can I use to clean the chassis? I've heard about using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and other things like that but I can't see that being a good idea on the MacBook Pro because of the aluminum finish...

7. r88my macrumors regular

None of my keys show any signs of wear or tear and I have had my MBP for a year and a half now. I only bought myself a USB keyboard the other day. Having said that I do look after my MBP and keep it immaculate at all times!

8. Alfadoc macrumors member

Alfadoc

I use my MBP nearly every day. I've had it since April 2006 and the frequently used keys are getting shinier or polished in their appearance. Also, one of my silver letters under the screen has come off, but the top is no more warped than it was in the beginning and I like iKlear very much. All in all, no different than my last two ThinkPads... :p

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

You realize the shiny keys are the texture wearing off? Getting iKlear or whatever will wash dirt off but won't re texture your keyboards or trackpads. If you are truly anal about getting shiny keys then head over to iskin and get one of the keyboard protectors.

There are concerns that the iskins prevent air flow for the laptops but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

10. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

i use the black crystal case, and my MBP looked cool with it

and for the keyboard, use the CAPDASE keyboard cover

looks like this

[​IMG]

it's very nice

using these 2 will keep your MBP as new as ever

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

if you don't mind altering the look of your MBP, the speck see through case is a good protection. iSkin ProTouch is also nice for protecting your keyboard from debris and oily fingers.

12. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I use iKlear for the chassis of the laptop as well... works really well. I had a protective plastic shell for a while (I can't remember which one, whatever one they sell at the Apple Store) but I didn't really like the look of it. I want to be able to enjoy the simple design of the notebook as well... Otherwise, what am I keeping it in good condition for? :rolleyes:

13. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I am thinking about getting some iKlear or Monster iClean. I dont know which one is better. Did you guys say iKlear is like a wax? I want the iKlear with the travel wipes, that I can use whenever.

Also, what do people think of those wrist pads for MBP, there is one made by Macally that has a microfiber feel, which might be nice. It also says it leaves no residue once removed. I have a keyboard cover made by Logix that I am loving so far.

14. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

iKlear isn't like a wax, but the process for applying it is rather like waxing a car. You use one wipe with the solution to clean the screen and then you follow that up with the microfiber and polish the screen starting in one corner and slowly working across the whole screen. It's the same process with the travel wipes as well -- if you don't follow up with the microfiber the screen will look cloudy and gross. The directions are in the kit and if you follow them, the results are worth the effort. I do it about once a week and it keeps my screen looking great.

I read somewhere in this forum that the Magic Eraser was actually harmful to the macbooks people were using it on... I can't imagine it would be good for the aluminum either. Again, iKlear works on the chassis, and it's specifically designed for use on apple notebooks; it's really gentle.