macbook pro has a dent on front edge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I recently got a macbook pro mid 2014 on ebay, and in the description and photographs, the laptop looked fine, no damage etc.

The seller used fedex express, and I just picked it up, and looked at it, and it seems it has taken a hit to the front, there are corresponding indents on the original box, so from what I can see of the laptop in front of me vs the photographs before it was sold to me, that something happened while it was in transit.

I turned on the computer, created my account. It seems to work ok, and it seems to open and close ok.

It has an apple warranty until August 2015.

I am not quite sure what I should do though, am concerned about the dent, and I have contacted the seller about it.

can a macbook pro be ok, despie a small dents in it?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I doubt the dent will affect performance in any way, the issue is purely aesthetic. Clearly the seller did a poor job of packing it for shipping.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If it was in its original box as the OP states I'd hit Fedex for it.

OP - of course it could be fine but it is already damaged and could have taken internal damage you can't see (partially dislodged SSD was once quoted on here).

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an app techtool pro, if I run that, would it detect problems with a hard drive as a result of a dent? or apple diagnostics?

and how do I hit fedex for this?

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

How should I know what some random app will tell you? Some of the best diagnostics is just running software, if something is currently wrong, generally it will show up (diagnostics are just better at stress testing components and logging what shows up).

Talk to the seller and submit a claim to Fedex, not sure whether it needs to be done by you or the shipper but I'm sure you can work it out between you...

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Go easy there, I was just asking, I have contacted the seller, and will look at FedEx policy, I was just trying to get some feedback on what to do here, as there seems to be some experienced mac owners here, not trying to irritate anybody with questions, I thought that is what an open forum was for, to get a little info and feedback.

I am trying to sort this out, and if something happened to you like this over an expensive item, you would have some questions and concerns too.

anyways, I don't see how running my app would be useless, it cant hurt, so I will try it anyway.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the process can be pretty extensive. depending on what you want done and how much the seller put for insurance.

if all you want is the keyboard replaced where dent is, get a quote from an Apple store or even via 1800aplcare in some form of email or document you can share with fedex, picture of the dent and most likely they will help cover the repair cost of the topcase

8. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Agree with the above. Take a photo. Especially of the condition of the box. Least this way youʻll have something to show Fedex.

9. newellj macrumors 601

My opinion:

You bought and paid for a computer without a dent.

Even if it hasn't caused any hidden or latent damage, you are likely to get static from Apple if you need to get it repaired under warranty.

The seller's obligation is to put the item in your hands in the same condition it was in when you bought it, and it's up to him to make it good. Personally, due to the possibility of future issues, I would have him take it back and sort the damage out with FedEx (which in any case only he can do, since that is between FedEx and the shipper, not the recipient).

10. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

Contact the seller and tell him it arrived damaged, tell him about the box being dented too. Then see how the seller responds.

Contact ebay if you are not satisfied at the end of the exchange with the seller.