Macbook pro has a mind of it's own!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hellishness, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Hellishness, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I need help fast. A bit over a week ago, my macbook pro started acting up a bit. The mouse would be uncontrollable at times and it would switch between desktops randomly. It would always be fixed if I restarted it, so i just ignored it and quickly restarted the computer if it happened (every couple days). Today it started happening more often. I've restarted it a few times and updated all my software. It's randomly looking up/defining words as i type this. It just zoomed in on the text box as if i double tapped with two fingers. It also switched to my dashboard just now for no apparent reason, I'm not touching the trackpad. There's no external mouse connected and no one around here that's smart enough to be playing a prank with an external mouse or trackpad (but that's really what it seems like).

This issue is making my only computer almost unusable! Please help, anything is appreciated. Thanks!

Edit, more info:
    10.8.3 Mid 2010 15" MBP 2.4 i5/4GB/320GB
    It all started after I downloaded a file online. It was a popular torrent and I haven't had any bad experiences with torrents in the past. I've deleted the file and it made no difference. May or may not be a total coincidence.

2. abc123 macrumors 6502

It sounds like maybe there is pressure or damage to your trackpad? Has there been any liquids near it lately?

Alternatively I believe the batteries occasionally swell towards the end of their estimated lifespan (x cycles) and can cause trackpad problems. I've only seen it mentioned by other users though so you might want to read up on that yourself.

3. negativzero macrumors 6502

Are your hands sweaty or trackpad wet? That can trigger the mouse to act in ways you don't want it to.

4. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I really think it seems like a software problem. I just got home after not using it all day and it's perfectly fine so far. It hasn't been near any liquids and my hands aren't sweaty at all. The battery was swelling on one of my old macbooks (black plastic) and it was a markedly different problem. It would register clicks randomly, but never move the mouse around. My mouse just jumps around randomly at times, like it'll be in one place and immediately move 6" away, without actually moving there.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you believe it was a virus (which I highly doubt), try running ClamXav.
    Its a free application to scan and get rid of malicious software on mac.

If it wasnt any software related thing, I suggest bringing it to Apple store and get it checked out.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That sounds exactly like a malfunctioning trackpad. Any moisture on the trackpad could cause similar issues.

Everything you described seems to be a result of false signals from the trackpad.

If it stopped and doesn't come back then I would guess moisture causing interference with the capacitive touch sensor. If it keeps happening then I think it's a faulty trackpad.