Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yttims7036

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Hey guys, new to the forum.

I have a mid-late 2009 15" MacBook Pro. As of late, every time it starts up, the desktop will show, and then the screen turns black for +/- 3 seconds. After that, the desktop will show up again, and one of two things will happen:

1) It works perfectly fine, or more often than not,
2) The dock refuses to show up, Finder freezes, and I have no choice but to do a force-restart. Once it boots back up, it always works completely fine.

Also, my computer's screen has been going black for +/- 3 seconds even when I'm well in to using it (i.e. it's been on and in use for at least an hour).

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Hey guys, new to the forum.

I have a mid-late 2009 15" MacBook Pro. As of late, every time it starts up, the desktop will show, and then the screen turns black for +/- 3 seconds. After that, the desktop will show up again, and one of two things will happen:

1) It works perfectly fine, or more often than not,
2) The dock refuses to show up, Finder freezes, and I have no choice but to do a force-restart. Once it boots back up, it always works completely fine.

Also, my computer's screen has been going black for +/- 3 seconds even when I'm well in to using it (i.e. it's been on and in use for at least an hour).

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

I don't have any special insight, but I'm going to state the obvious and say you should make a bootable clone asap, reset the SMC/PRAM, try a hardware test (on the install disk), and try a clean install of the OS and migrate your user back in, and see what happens.

Worst case scenario you have a logic board/GPU kind of issue, next worse step a going bad LCD, or maybe its just a cable inside, or maybe its software based and these early steps will make it go away

Yttims7036

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I don't have any special insight, but I'm going to state the obvious and say you should make a bootable clone asap, reset the SMC/PRAM, try a hardware test (on the install disk), and try a clean install of the OS and migrate your user back in, and see what happens.

Worst case scenario you have a logic board/GPU kind of issue, next worse step a going bad LCD, or maybe its just a cable inside, or maybe its software based and these early steps will make it go away

I backup with Time Machine multiple times a day; will that do as far as a bootable clone goes?

Thanks for your help!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I backup with Time Machine multiple times a day; will that do as far as a bootable clone goes?

Thanks for your help!

Time machine doesn't make a bootable clone, but you can boot from your restore discs and select the "restore from time machine backup" option and it will do the trick.

I don't believe that the 2009 models had the same graphics card issues as the 2007/2008 MBP, but there could still be a hardware issue. I'd try running the extended Apple hardware test looped overnight to stress the computer and reveal any problems.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London

Thanks for your help!

No, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper do bootable clones. Time Machine will let you migrate your stuff back in on a clean install, but a bootable clone is a one button restore more or less, and you can bring it to any similar mac and boot your system as per before if there is a perm hardware issue on your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.