MacBook Pro has been running so slow. Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmotta3191, May 23, 2013.

1. dmotta3191 macrumors newbie

Please help me. Im not sure where to begin but I want my laptop running like it use to.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
    For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Looks like you're running out of RAM quite often according to your memory tab. Perhaps an upgrade is in order.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Well you have a MASSIVE amount of page outs, 42GB's is crazy.

You only have 10mb of free ram at that time.

You badly need more RAM. It will make a world of difference.

Your laptop is writing ram data to the hard drive, causing it to be really slow.

Consider 8GB, or even 16GB. You seem to do some fairly taxing stuff so 16GB may not hurt.

----------

Whens the last time you restarted/shut down?

5. dmotta3191 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do i have any other options besides getting more ram. IF i delete a bunch of applications and programs i dont use would that help? I cant afford to by more ram at the moment.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You can try an SMC reset, but more RAM is really what you need.

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Are you using HP Software for your printer that you downloaded/installed from HP, or from a CD that may have come with your InkJet printer?

If so, uninstall it, and just use the printer drivers that come as part of OS X.

I'm on my second HP printer with OS X in the past 6 years (just replaced an old OfficeJet Pro 7600 series with a newer HP PhotoSmart 7520 Series,) and I've never seen any of their drivers consume as much memory as is being consumed on your system.

You have almost 25% of your system's RAM being used by your print queues. Something's not right there.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Unless you do less at one time, deleting applications will have no effect on the ram.

The only thing that would improve is hard drive space.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

10. dmotta3191 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please explain!! So sorry im not a computer guy clearly

Why is it that the only option i have is getting more ram. Their must be a way to free up space on the ram or something. This doesnt make any sense to me that the computer worked fine for so long but now it needs more ram.

11. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Beats me! But if I were to guess, it's probably because those are the only posts that you appear to be reading.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read my last post about determining if RAM is your problem. Also, there is no way to "free up space on the RAM". It's not like a hard drive that can permanently store data. It's just a temporary workspace that is cleared on every reboot. You didn't answer the earlier question about how long it's been since you shut down or restarted your Mac.

13. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah OP you seem to be a little confused how RAM works.

Like he said RAM is technically almost empty when your computer is off, and depending on the demands of the programs you start using when you are on your computer the amount of RAM is used accordingly.

You need to answer the last time you restarted your computer.... it wasn't said for no reason.

If it was today, then your page outs are massive and your ONLY option it more RAM. If the last time was a month ago it would make a little more sense to have that much as they accumulate over time.

14. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Sit down because you are about to get schooled on how a balenced computer works

[​IMG]

The case is where it all starts it hold all the componets that include ram, motherboard, graphics card, power supply, processor, heatsink, hdd, ssd what have you

The processor is like the brain it thinks about things you don't want a retarded processor thats like duh I don't go very fast i'm a powermac g5 quad this part gets very hot and needs to be cooled with a metal thing called a heatsink

The ram is its attenion span or train of thought the longer the train of thought then the faster your computer can focus on something and accomplish it,

the hdd or ssd is like an office the bigger the office then the more space it has to work with and its not all crammed in there and gets stressed trying to find something. the office should be regularly organized using disk utility

The graphics card is what paints the pretty pictures up on screen.

The power supply or battery in this case is how much sleep your computer got last night and determines how long it can stay awake.

Join me next week class where we will be talking all about water cooling and what it can do for you

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

RAM contains only the applications you have running, nothing more, nothing less.

Unless you close all applications(by close, I mean quit: cmd-Q), you cannot free up RAM.

Deleting a bunch of applications will free Hard Disk space, and have no effect whatsoever on your RAM consumption.

RAM for your machine is along the lines of $40 or so for 8GB (double what you have), just save up a tiny bit and you'll be able to afford it in no time.

16. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

my sister had a book like this understanding computer for dummies it was pretty good I learn a couple of this , can't wait until next week to hear about water cooling lol

17. SMDBill macrumors 6502

You have a limited amount of RAM. Every time your computer processes anything, RAM is used. RAM can hold a finite number of things, but when your need exceeds the amount of RAM available, the computer then processes information by putting what it needs least into "swap" space (virtual memory on the hard drive). RAM is incredibly fast and as long as you do not exceed your amount of available RAM, your machine is quite fast. However, the most immediate impact felt by needing to use swap/virtual memory is a slowdown because of the time delay of new data into RAM and least needed data out of RAM and stored in swap space. Since that outgoing data goes onto the hard drive for storage in the swap space, your "felt" delay in the computer is the time it takes those transfers of data onto and off of the swap space. Hard drives are significantly slower than RAM, making the use of swap slow.

More RAM is obviously needed. You hit swap probably constantly. That makes everything come to a crawl when it isn't just periodic, brief use. And it would be that way on any OS under those conditions. If you can't afford more RAM, the only answer is to do less at one time. Reconfigure your workflow to reduce RAM usage to acceptable levels for your usage. Removing apps will provide absolutely zero gain in speed since RAM is the issue, not storage space. Running fewer apps, fewer tabs, etc. will give you the performance you're looking for, but with a more limited capability since you probably want to do more simultaneously.