Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvidArtist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
NYC
MacBook Pro has black screen on startup… says water damage…buy new? Trust 3rd party repair?

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
MacBook Pro has black screen on startup… says water damage…buy new? Trust 3rd party repair?
If Apple is not an option for repair, I would buy new or look at what is available for Apple Refurbished MBP’s. I’m not sure that I would trust 3rd party repair shops unless it is Apple authorized (not even sure that’s a thing).

Reactions: AvidArtist

AvidArtist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
NYC
It’s a 2018 MacBook Pro, I got it built out to the max so it cost me $5K when it was new. I use it for Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, and GarageBand. I use iCloud for everything—I don’t store anything locally—so I’m not sure how much hard drive storage I need if I decide to spring for a new one... wondering if 512 GB is enough. My iCloud photo library is about 2 TB. Apple wants $1300 (estimated) to repair it (although they might change that number after they begin working on it). From what I’m reading in the forums here, if there is any water damage evidence, they will want to replace the logic board. Might be cheaper to repair through a third party, but can I trust a third party with my data and with the repair? Not super comfortable with that. Meanwhile, I can get a brand new out of the box MacBook Pro for $1300. Trying to be frugal AND smart. What would YOU do?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
What would YOU do?
Apple and the M silicon chip is here to stay!
apple will develop and include this processor and system in every computer the assemble
until a government tells them not to
which will never happen.
as long as their is apple making MacBooks, they will include their own processor system, the M series.
all thier operating systems will interact with tis m system.

I would get a new MacBook, and try to fix your MacBook Pro.
my situation needs 3 MacBooks and i am typing this on a MacBook Pro 2012 running Monterey
one won't power on unless I use a screwdriver on the logic board.

hope I answered your question.

Oh, did we try plugging the MacBook Pro into a monitor?
some MBP from that era have faulty graphic monitor connections.

Grubster

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
It’s a 2018 MacBook Pro, I got it built out to the max so it cost me $5K when it was new. I use it for Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, and GarageBand. I use iCloud for everything—I don’t store anything locally—so I’m not sure how much hard drive storage I need if I decide to spring for a new one... wondering if 512 GB is enough. My iCloud photo library is about 2 TB. Apple wants $1300 (estimated) to repair it (although they might change that number after they begin working on it). From what I’m reading in the forums here, if there is any water damage evidence, they will want to replace the logic board. Might be cheaper to repair through a third party, but can I trust a third party with my data and with the repair? Not super comfortable with that. Meanwhile, I can get a brand new out of the box MacBook Pro for $1300. Trying to be frugal AND smart. What would YOU do?
Obviously I don't know what third party repair company you are using, but this stuff is not rocket science, they are just parts and can be repaired. If you are worried about your data, then protect your data. Make a backup and Format your Hard Drive if you can. Can you boot to an external display? if so, then you can erase your drive and send to a repair shop. I disagree with the notion of throwing out a nice machine to buy new especially when you spent 5k on it! But, that depends on the price of the repair of course and the price of a replacement, either Used, Refurb or new. There are companies that you can send out and they repair the logic board, or you can buy a used logic board and have it installed. Apple is not the only option, but they will be the most expensive! Find a reputable shop and start with that! Of course you also need a true diagnosis..... is it water damage, is it a bad flex cable, or display or the connection.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I got it built out to the max so it cost me $5K when it was new"

There's a lesson to be learned here.
"Build out to the max"... and you may get "Burned out to the max" later on.

For the apps you stated, you don't need "the max".
In fact, base model or "a little up from that" would probably do fine.

My advice is to check the current MacBook Pro 14" or 16".

BE AWARE that an updated version will arrive in 2-4 more months, but will be priced higher.
And you may be able to find the current models at a good discount (depending on where you are).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.