MacBook Pro has Broken.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cactus33, Oct 12, 2011.

1. cactus33 macrumors member

Hello,

My 2010 15" MBP core i5 has just broken. I was on idling on Wikipedia, when it suddenly (and silently) turned off with no warning.

Some info:
    It is fully charged.
    It has NO history of any physical damage of any sort. It is mint.
    It was showing no problems prior to it's breakdown
    It no longer turns on. I can get no signal of life from it.

Thankfully I still have 2 years of warranty, so there should be no problems on that side. But I am posting this for two reasons: firstly, does any one have any idea what the problem may be? (sounds like a video card/motherboard failure?!)

Secondly, it has broken (or decided to break) pretty much exactly 12 months after being purchased. I bought and received it in late sep 2010. Sounds... Fishy to me.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thansk.

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Eh? Why fishy?

Timed failure of a product would bankrupt any maker of said product. (Not to mention the drag on any prison system)

Well, there you go then. Sounds moot to me.

Not sure what you're "fishing" for with this thread.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Really Think

That Apple, or any company for that matter would design a product to malfunction after 12 months? sheesh...I've heard a few conspiracy theories in my time but this one takes some beating. Besides as posted above, you have 2 years Applecare left....I don't get the problem:confused:

4. cactus33 thread starter macrumors member

First of all, i love apple and their products. I have had similar bad experiences with other laptops, where they just die as soon as the warranty is over, and the fact that this breakdown happened exactly 1 year after purchase just got me thinking. I guess I'm a bit cynical in that sense.

I was actually posting this to see if other people had similar experiences, and what people think may be the logical cause of the failure.

Also, how are peoples experiences with apple care? The above two posters are suggesting that its a simple thing getting it repaired. My old Sony VAIO had is repairs categorically turned down, because apparently 'batteries weren't coved by warranty'.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Batteries aren't covered under any laptop of any brand's warranty, period, so it's no wonder you were denied. Unless your battery starts swelling or leaking randomly, not a single manufacturer will do anything for your battery under warranty.

Just bring it in to Apple and have it fixed since you're still under applecare.