Macbook pro having trouble booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tonyennis, Apr 6, 2011.

1. tonyennis macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro was running fine this evening then locked up tight as I was browsing. I power-cycled it. I got to the Apple-and-spinning-thing screen and no further. I rebooted in 'verbose' mode. The machine produced some text as per normal. Once it displayed "parent ready after 1 tries" it stopped. After 5-10 seconds, the machine powered off. I've done this a few times now :-/

Any ideas?

2. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Have you tried Safe Boot? Hold SHIFT down when booting until Apple appears. A progress bar will appear and then you can see if it continues on. If it does, log in and then restart again normally.

If not, you may need to repair disk or archive/install OS X again.

3. tonyennis thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried rebooting using command+s. I saw a window where a script was being run. Withing a second or two, however, the machine powered off.

Rebooting and holding the shift key down did not produce a progress bar, only the apple logo and a spinny thing. Nothing has changed in 5 minutes.

Under what conditions will the Mac turn itself off?

I'm fearing a crashed hard drive.

4. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Have you also rest SMC? Turning off by itself may be a bad or corrupted controller. It may think the battery is dead and no power adaptor present.

Check with Apple Support ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 ) for the procedure to use with your MB.

Also, if you have the install DVD, boot from that and run Disk Utility from Utilities menu. This is one of those situations where having AppleJack installed could be a data saver. ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/applejack/ )

5. tonyennis thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the SMC.

Then I booted it 'verbose'. The machine stopped responding after the ominous

"[HCIController][configurePIOAHCIBlockStorageDriver: could not recover SATA HDD after 5 attempts, terminating"

Followed a few minutes later by

"AppleAHCIDDiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0x443ce00, 2 -> 1) timed out after 180597 ms"

:(

6. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

OOOps. Sounds bad. Need Disk Utility at least or Disk Warrior/Drive Genius. Sorry. Looks like a repair is in order. Also, if it is not repairable, maybe Data Rescue will work to get data back.

Good Luck

7. tonyennis thread starter macrumors newbie

When I got whacked from my last job, my boss gave me this MacBookPro. Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask for the OS disks. So now I sit with a dead hard drive (probably) and no OS disk.

So, can I get by with the Snow Leopard upgrade or do I need a full version? I don't see the full version being sold much :-/

Does the OS disk include a disk analyzer/recovery utility? Hopefully the utility can repair the drive. At least long enough to prepare for a smoother transition to a replacement.

I'm a Mac user, and I like it. But I don't know jack about them.