Macbook Pro HD constantly failing?? Advice??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MXSkier62, Dec 14, 2010.

1. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

So I bought my macbook pro (base) about a month ago, and in this time the HD has failed on me 3 times. Each time I bring it back to apple, they replace the HD, but about a week later, without fail, it stops working properly again. I'm thinking something else besides the HD must be going on.

I know this is the macbook pro forum, but do you think there is any chance that if I brought it up with the Genius at the bar, and showed him my receipts, that they would be able to replace my mbp with the base 13" mba that just came out? I think I would be a lot happier just to have a machine without a HD, and one that is new as well.

What do you think the odds of something like this actually working are?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

very slim. More than likely, they would give you a new standard MBP, as it is not normal for a machine to eat HDDs like that. That is, if they were to give you a new computer.

3. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

I would bring it up the next time your at the store that you want a replacement. They won't give you the MBA, but they will consider giving you the MBP, but you will get a refurbished one, and most likely you were getting refurbished HDDs and getting VERY unlucky (but i doubt that, it sounds like a problem from the computer is falling off ontot he HDD)

Its possible your computer is just corrupting your install of OS X on your HDD and that a replacement HDD isn't an answer, possibly a replacement Logic Board or something else.

Your Action: 3 times+ failure on a single piece of hardware warrants a replacement (in my Books, as well as in some states the Law). I would imply that it has been 3 times now and that you want a permanent solution at this point. Lay the law down.

4. stark4 macrumors 6502

Yeah you should ask them and see what they say.. I seen people walk out with the brand new macbook because their laptop fail constantly. The replacement macbook is brand new sealed in box. good luck!