Macbook Pro HD Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmpmb, Jun 4, 2008.

1. tmpmb macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My Macbook Pro HD just failed on me so I'm looking to get it replace.

I don't have Apple Care unfortunately and I called in the Apple Store in our area and the lady said she doesn't know how much it will cost me to get it replace - but she said they can do it for me.

Does anyone here have their Macbook Pro HD replaced from Apple? How much did it cost you?

Should I get it replace from the Apple Store or should I just do it myself? I found a couple of DIY websites for replacing the HD.

I guess I'll save money if I do it myself but if I only have to pay a few more bucks to get Apple to do it for me then that's fine.

Just wanted to know if anyone here have experienced this situation before and just want some feedback.

Thanks!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If it were me id just replace it myself,it's not difficult,just make sure you have the correct tools & take your time,done it a few times now and no probs so far

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It's not too difficult to do and the cost of having someone else do it will likely be close to the cost of the drive itself.

4. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I agree

I would not use the Apple store if it is on your nickel. Drives are cheap today and changing one is well documented on the web. For someone that has done it a few times, it is about 15 minutes on a MBP and way less on a MB. The key is to have a T6x40 TORX driver. Then you just restore your last backup and you are a happy camper again.

Neil.

5. tmpmb thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got the 320GB 5400 rpm Western Digital drive a month ago. Works fine for me and was fairly easy to install. It's not for a true novice, so if you are one, DON'T DO IT!