MacBook Pro HD used space

dantevn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Lima
Hi!
I just bought a new MacBook Pro 13" and I'm new to the Mac OS. This is the first time I'm using it and I'm getting to know it pretty well now.
However, I have a doubt that I want to get it solved.
When I look into my Hard Drive, it says that 20GB out of my 500GB is in use. I dont know why I have that amount used if its a brand new computer.
It shows me that it's been used in audio, image, video files, among others. But I have none of those.
I know that Mountain Lion OS is just 8GB size. So, how come I'm "losing" 12GB?
Please can someone explain it to me?
I'll appriciate it!!
Thank you
Sincerely,
Dante V

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I look into my Hard Drive, it says that 20GB out of my 500GB is in use. I dont know why I have that amount used if its a brand new computer.
It shows me that it's been used in audio, image, video files, among others. But I have none of those.
20GB combined for the OS and default apps sounds about right. I think you are fine. Some of the default iLife apps like Garageband include audio and video/image files and that is what you are seeing in those categories. You could open a new Macbook out of the box and you would see space used in reach of those categories.

dantevn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Lima
thank you for your information!!
i guess it does sounds right!
i was just concerned that it showed me images videos and audio files when i havent got any yet!
but ya it makes sense that those could be iphoto or garageband or wallpaper files.
thank you!!
Dante V