MacBook Pro HD used space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dantevn, Aug 29, 2012.

1. dantevn macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I just bought a new MacBook Pro 13" and I'm new to the Mac OS. This is the first time I'm using it and I'm getting to know it pretty well now.
    However, I have a doubt that I want to get it solved.
    When I look into my Hard Drive, it says that 20GB out of my 500GB is in use. I dont know why I have that amount used if its a brand new computer.
    It shows me that it's been used in audio, image, video files, among others. But I have none of those.
    I know that Mountain Lion OS is just 8GB size. So, how come I'm "losing" 12GB?
    Please can someone explain it to me?
    I'll appriciate it!!
    Thank you
    Sincerely,
    Dante V

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

20GB combined for the OS and default apps sounds about right. I think you are fine. Some of the default iLife apps like Garageband include audio and video/image files and that is what you are seeing in those categories. You could open a new Macbook out of the box and you would see space used in reach of those categories.

5. dantevn thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your information!!
    i guess it does sounds right!
    i was just concerned that it showed me images videos and audio files when i havent got any yet!
    but ya it makes sense that those could be iphoto or garageband or wallpaper files.
    thank you!!
    Dante V