macbook pro HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nadasive, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Nadasive macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook Pro with 80GB HD in it, and I just ordered me a 120GB HD. Is it possible to add my 120GB HD to my 80GB HD to make it 200GB? Or do I have to remove my 80GB and Replace it with 120GB.
    And one last question; can somebody please show me a link to a website that would help me replace/add my HD??
    Thanks

2. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

There's only room for one HDD in the MBP so you'll have only the 120GB drive in there. I replaced mine last weekend and went to 250GB. What you could do though is buy an external drive enclosure and make your 80GB drive external.

C2D HDD Replacement: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/Hard-Drive-Replacement/115/10/

Core Duo HDD Replacement: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-Duo/Hard-Drive-Replacement/85/8/

You'll need to make sure you have the tools listed on those pages. There are some small parts to remove!

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

just my opinion but if you are going through all the trouble replacing your HD, you should get one much bigger, like 250gb al least. from experience each time i purchased a HD, a few weeks later i always get to wonder why i didn't get the bigger one :D

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Keep in mind you can find a 250gb drive for $120 @ Newegg, and a 320gb drive for ~$180.

5. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea my friend said the same exact thing last night. I went back to Fry's and returned my 120GB and ordered me a 320GB.
    Thanks for the help guys

6. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Good Idea Because about two weeks ago I bought a 250gb wd scorpio, installed loaded yada yada yada. and found out there was a 320gb.
    yup i swapped it again in fact i am getting good at cracking my mbp, and shaved five minutes off my time.
    320GB works fine by the way.

7. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I always try go by quadrupeling my size when upgrading. If i had a 512mb pen drive the next i'd buy would be a 2gig. The same kind of principle applies here i think, I there's just no point upgrading the hd if you're only going to gain a few gb. And as mentioned, it isn't the easiest of jobs, so spend a few $ more like people have said and get the max you can, and not have to change it for longer.

plus, on the MBP you could do with big HDD as it could be used as a desktop replacement machine.

8. Jetmart macrumors newbie

Jetmart

I have a WD hard drive that I was considering installing in my MBP. I have using it without problems as back up using time machine. My question is what is the best way to get my existing files and Leopard off of my existing HD and onto my new WD drive when it becomes my new HD?

Is this risky? I would not want to loose anything. I still have lots of room on my existing drive.

9. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

If you have Leopard try Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). It will make a clone of your HDD. You can then boot off the drive, but I'm not entirely sure if you can make that your main HDD. Never tried, but it seems like it might work.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html