MacBook Pro HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by captnfun, Apr 29, 2008.

1. captnfun macrumors member

Is it just me or has Apple lost their 'edge' since moving to Intel. Seems like all the updates to their hardware are 'bumps' rather than in the old days when they used to introduce products and we'd all say "DANG, I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!".

New iMacs, Macbooks, etc .... a little bit faster..... whoopeee?? Big Deal??

So to help Cupertino regain their edge. I propose the MacBook Pro HD.
    (Have you seen the Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue)
    http://www.acer.com/gemstoneblue/eng/

MacBook Pro HD
    New Centrino2 architecture.
    full 1920x1080 HD screen (maybe 16 inch screen with thin bezel)
    Great Video Card (Nvidia GeForce 8800?)
    HDMI video out
    Blu-ray burner
    mag latch
    New stylish enclosure (Jonathan Ive, what have you done for me lately?)
    All the other Apple laptop stuff we love.

Introduce it in June to get all those people with Tax Rebate checks... I will endorse mine to APPLE COMPUTER, right now!

Any suggestions for a radical new MacBook Pro?

Steve Steele
    (Still using the Powerbook G4 until they give me a reason to upgrade.)

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

1. MBP HD. Already exists - 17" high res.
    2. Okay, I can see that, although personally I don't care, not being a gamer. Don't most gamers prefer desktop machines, though?
    3. HDMI. Just use a DVI>HDMI adaptor.
    4. Blu-Ray is something of a dead end, but it's probably got a few short years left in it - I'll agree with that one, too.
    5. Mag latch. Laptop Macs have had a magnetically activated latch for years - just possibly not the kind of magnetic latch you want....
    6. The enclosure is already stylish - especially by comparison with other things out there. Sounds like you want something new for the sake of having something new.

Frankly, overall I have to disagree completely. They're moving forward the same way they always have (and you wouldn't believe how many times over the last 20 years I've seen your kind of comment - just because they're not producing what YOU think they should be producing doesn't mean that they've lost the plot). The sheer fact of Apple's growth in the marketplace tends to suggest that they've got the balance about right.

3. captnfun thread starter macrumors member

Speed bumps just don't make me droool, and I used to drool alot more with Apple. I will admit, of course this is my dream machine and everyone has their own set of specs, but I would think Apple would just flat out go for it on the High Definition front. They have a legitimate dominance with Final Cut Pro.

...as for Blu-Ray, I have seen so many comments with people saying Blu-Ray wont matter, everyone will download soon. I agree someday we will download... but so many regular people will not, someday they will buy Blu-Ray players for $99 and continue to rent disc's at Blockbuster. The technology penetration to the masses of high capacity storage, internet backbone , and broadband connections to provide downloads for everyone would be ridiculous. All the more reason that Blu-Ray will be the last optical format... and therefore carry on a lot longer than any other.

just my 2 cents.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

What is it that you want Apple to do?? They are releasing whatever intel has to offer and keeping up with updates whether it be minor bumps or whatever new is available. When the montevina will be released then it will be released... whenever nehalem will be released.. it will be released... but until then all you can do is wait.

Another thing is that I dont know why so many people want blu-ray in a laptop.. Why not just buy a ps3 and kill 2 birds with 1 stone with gaming and as a blu-ray player. You do know that the ps3 is future proof in blu-ray capabilities because of firmware updates as other blu-ray players are not capable of.. also I'd rather watch a hi definition especially with bluray with a nice surround hifi system on a big screen 1080p full hdtv far better than a measly little 17" laptop.

I can understand people in the professional level that works with hi def material that needs blu-ray but other than that I see no real use for blu-ray (maybe the bluray burner to keep alot of data but the discs are ridiculously expensive at the moment as well, making a coaster out of 1 blu-ray disc is so wasteful). Also as Harddrives are getting bigger everyday, I would much rather buy a 1TB hdd to keep data.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i disagree, i dont think that downloads of extremely high quality videos will come out for a while.

even downloading (i.e. torrenting) a BluRay dvd these days takes a long time, especially with people uploading at such bad rates. files would range from 5-40gb, which is massive! broadband plans just don't allow for that kind of bandwidth (i shuld know, i pay $100AUD for 25gb).