Macbook Pro HDD in enclosure -- issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dogboydog, Feb 6, 2012.

1. dogboydog macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

My Macbook Pro 13 was recently totaled, so that sucks. But the hard drive is totally intact (it was pretty much just the case and display that were destroyed, but that came to 900 bucks in repairs apparently. ) Anyway, I'm building myself a new desktop and I purchased a hard drive enclosure to get my old data off of the HDD and also to use it as an external hard drive once that's done with.
    The computer's I'll be accessing the hard drive with are running Windows 7.

Here are my issues:
    There are weird little screws on the side of the hard drive that prevent it from fitting in the enclosure. I can still plug it in and use the enclosure but obviously I want it to be inside the aluminum case. I am not sure how to remove these. I already had to buy a special screwdriver to open up the MBP, I hope I don't need yet another goofy screwdriver just to slide the hard drive into the enclosure. Are these even supposed to be removed, are they performing some function?

Anyway my second issue is that I can only see the boot camp partition of the drive when I connect it to the computer. This was the default drive to boot, but there is some data on the Mac OS side that I wanted. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this? This is the enclosure I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138

Thank you :)

2. dogboydog thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I solved the problem of viewing the mac partition by downloading the trial of MacDrive, however I still can't put it in the casing because of the weird screws on the side -- how do I remove them?

3. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Yeah, you need a special screwdriver to remove them. It is a Torx, and I think you need a T6. Lots of places sell them, I got a tiny combination one with changeable heads that I carry with me (am a frequent traveler) at microcenter for $5, or the OWC folks sell a kit with two sizes for about the same (plus shipping, though).

The OWC site has videos of hard drive replacement where you can see the tool...

4. bootloader macrumors newbie

use a hammer or some big and manly pliers combined with the hammer. worked fine for me and chances are you already have a hammer and pliers. good luck :D

5. dogboydog thread starter macrumors newbie

A hammer. Real funny. I wish I didn't have to buy a screwdriver to use it for five minutes and then never again. Sigh.

6. bootloader macrumors newbie

not supposed to be funny. use pliers instead. you just need to rotate the damn thing. and its round and adequately sized, just grip the damn thing with pliers and rotate. if are worried about damaging it just wrap some damn cloth on it and then grip with pliers and then proceed to perform a gentle twisting motion, unscrewing the screw. repeat for each additional screws. no need for screwdrivers.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I can't believe you're misleading him like you are. Us more techie types know you're supposed to be using vice grips or a pipe wrench :)

Srsy tho. He's really right. Unless you're concerned about re-using the screw I'd just take pliers to it if that's all you have.

8. dogboydog thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I thought he was joking because of the hammer part. I don't know where a hammer comes into play with a HDD. But in any case, I will try pliers. I tried a little before but they wouldn't turn. But maybe I can get it to work. Thanks.