Macbook Pro HDD in Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modstorm, May 22, 2012.

1. modstorm macrumors newbie

Hi! I currently have a Macbook Pro 13 with an SSD installed. I have also purchased an Optibay and an extra HDD and was thinking about installing it instead of the Superdrive. Is there a way that I can set the HDD to activate only while on Windows and remain shutdown while on OS X ? (I dont want any risks with the HDD on OS X as I will only use it on Bootcamp)

Thanks

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You should be able to hide the partition from OSX, but there's no way to actually cut power to the drive. That would require a physical toggle of some sort I believe.

3. modstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

So practically I'll still need to be careful to avoid any sudden movements to the Macbook right ?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not put the SSD in the optibay and the HD in the hard drive bay, that way the sudden motion sensor will work as expected

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Most hard drives these days have sudden motion sensors built in. Do some google-investigating and see if your hard drive has it. Then you have no worries.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No you don't.
    a) notebook HDDs can sustain quite a lot of sudden movements. You really need to crash the thing on a hard surface to do damage. Just carrying it in your hand and moving it around even quickly you can will not produce enough G force to do damage. I your muscles don't go to 0 immediatly and don't accelerate fast enough.
    b) if it is spun down. It is like off. Just spin it down. Automatic open terminal
    sudo pmset -a disksleep 2
    it will spin down after 2 minutes idle. Yet unfortunately spin up everytime you open a save dialog. Very annoying if you never use it.

Use a script to unmount the drive on startup. When unmounted it will also spindown and stay down until you open diskutility and click it. A spun down drive is pretty much off there is only very little power consumption left about 100-150mW.
    Just google OSX OR Mac unmount script

7. modstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies :) The HDD is the Apple 320GB that came with the MBP so I guess it should have a sudden motion sensor. I didnt put the SSD in the Optibay to have SATA 3 (as far as I know an Optibay can only support up to SATA 2).