MacBook Pro HDD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danakm, Mar 23, 2012.

1. danakm macrumors regular

danakm

I'm replacing my mac's HD due to suspicious behavior that seems to point to a failing disk. My current WD is still under warranty, however, I have to send it in before they send me a replacement and I just can't be computer less for any amount of time (working on an animation for my undergrad thesis).

For all that I mentioned above, I decided to get a new HD to replace the current one before sending it in for warranty and keep the replacement they'll send me as a back up.

I currently have a 750GB WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM 2.5" SATA HD 16MB Cache and I'm wondering if I should get another similar WD, a 750GB Seagate Momentus or if there are any better options out there (that are not SSD because I can't afford it atm).

Advice, please? :confused:

If you've had any good or bad experiences with those or other HDDs, I'd love to hear them.

2. AppChat macrumors regular

whats ur budget? there are some more inexpensive SSDs

3. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Around $200, but the catch is I need no less than 750GB, which is what I currently have (I deal with heaps of media files on a daily basis due to my occupation and hobbies that I rather not have to put in external drives for other than back-up), so that kind of puts SSD out of the question, hence my considering an hybrid ;)

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB

5. AppChat macrumors regular

yeah i switched my stock 500gb hard drive to a 120gb SSD and having that kind of space is anoying but i managed to make 80gb free space.

i put all my video clips (i make youtube vids) onto the apple time capsule that ahs 2tb.

i dont really need to carry those with me all the time so thats ok lol

i wont lie though , im loving the speeds of SSD lol

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the OP wants at least 750GB and under $200, i think i gave a good suggestion to fit his 2 needs

7. AppChat macrumors regular

109 for a 1TB hard drive from a reputable brand, cant pass that up!

8. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Is this one more reliable than the 1TB WD Scorpio Blue? What about speed? Will I notice any significant decrease of performance going back to 5400rpm? :confused:

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

most people say no decrease in performance, you can find all kinds of good reviews on that drive I'm happy with it

10. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

How long have you had it? :)

----------

Does anyone have any good experiences or horror stories related to Hitachi drives? I have found mostly good comments in stores online, but I always want to know more :)

11. AppChat macrumors regular

WD or seagate are my fav HD brands

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I've only had it a few months