Macbook pro HDD & SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krapull, Apr 29, 2011.

1. krapull macrumors newbie

Hi,
    this is my first post on this forum, and I'm a foreigner so please forgive me my english...

I've recently bought a macbook pro 15'' and I plan to install an optibay caddy into it...

I'll set an SSD and a HDD in it... I read in few topics that it was better to put the SSD in the default slot rather than in the optibay for bandwidth reasons...
    But if do that I'll lost the SMS bult-in the macbook...
    So I'd like to know if there is a way to mount the ssd in the optibay and to mount the hdd in the regular slot and to invert their SATA cables in order to get SMS AND good bandwidth...

Thanks a lot,
    regards

2. ViviUO macrumors 6502

3. krapull thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks !

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I am going to be doing the exact same thing on tuesday. I don't plan on dropping my MacBook, so hopefully the motion sensor won't ever have to do anything anyway. Haha.

Going to split the 128 gb ssd for OS X and windows 7. All of my data and programs will be on the hdd. Don't ever use the DVD drive except to do a fresh OS install, so having it as an external drive will be fine for me.

5. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

What do you mean by SMS? are you referring to the "Short Message Service"?

6. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

7. uplusd macrumors 6502

I think you're confused. You mention you want to keep your HDD in the default slot and the SSD in the OptiBay. With this configuration you would retain the SMS capabilities for the HDD in the standard slot. This is the setup I use.