MacBook Pro HDD Upgrade (500GB)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mgilks, Sep 27, 2009.

1. mgilks macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm a fairly new mac user and i'm new to the macrumours forums, so please bear with me and welcome me :) However, i have been reading the Macrumours news pretty much daily to see what's going on.

I was wondering if anyone could advise what would be a good Hard Drive for my early 2009 MacBook Pro 15" Unibody.

Ideally I would like it to be 500GB+ with a low fan speed and low heat emissions... So I guess 5400 RPM would be best?

What is the 500GB hard drive that Apple use in their MacBook's?

Thanks so much

Matt

2. DivineEvil macrumors regular

I think they use the Seagate 7200RPM, but I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that.

But I installed on my MBP 13" the Hitachi 500GB and it's the same as the stock 160GB Hitachi drive that came with the MBP. The HDD is as quite as the stock, as cool as the stock, but a bit faster because of the bigger cylinder density

3. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I upgraded my MacBook Pro with a 500GB Seagate drive (model # ST9500325AS). I just went to BestBuy and picked up the largest capacity laptop hard drive and that's what they had. Used a howto guide from http://www.ifixit.com and a screwdriver set from Radioshack and did it all myself.

To find out your harddrive speed go to the Apple logo menu on the top left of the screen, click "About this Mac" then the "More Info..." button. This will launch the System Profiler app. On the left side panel under the "Hardware" section click "Serial-ATA" and it will give you all you want to know about your drive. Here is what mine looks like:

Code:
    Intel ICH7-M AHCI:

Vendor:	Intel
      Product:	ICH7-M AHCI
      Speed:	1.5 Gigabit
      Description:	AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

ST9500325AS:

Capacity:	500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
      Model:	ST9500325AS                             
      Revision:	0001SDM1
      Serial Number:	            5VE0TB5L
      Native Command Queuing:	Yes
      Queue Depth:	32
      Removable Media:	No
      Detachable Drive:	No
      BSD Name:	disk0
      [B]Rotational Rate:	5400[/B]
      Partition Map Type:	GPT (GUID Partition Table)
      S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
      Volumes:
    Macintosh HD:
      Capacity:	499.76 GB (499,763,888,128 bytes)
      Available:	244.18 GB (244,182,716,416 bytes)
      Writable:	Yes
      File System:	Journaled HFS+
      BSD Name:	disk0s2
      Mount Point:	/

4. mgilks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that guys, I like the idea of getting a Hitachi, similar or the same as the one that Apple use. Just purely because it will be almost identical, except larger and probably quicker!

5. mgilks thread starter macrumors newbie

6. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I've been using that hard drive in my unibody macbook for about 2 weeks now. It's awesome. I switched from a hitachi 7200 320GB. Comparatively, the WD has less vibration (although the hitachi was not bad) and is actually faster with the amount of data I have on it, according to xbench. I think it fits your needs perfectly!

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds