MacBook Pro HDD Upgrade

KlausFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
London
I upgraded my 2012 Macbook Pro to a Samsung SSD for OS and Apps. Put the stock drive into the SuperDrive slot for Home folder and everything else. All good so far...

Now I want to upgrade the HDD as I need more capacity. I used CCC to clone my HDD then copied it across to the new HDD. I ran into problems when I switched the drives.

Can someone explain how and if I can do this successfully?

Thank you.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I upgraded my 2012 Macbook Pro to a Samsung SSD for OS and Apps. Put the stock drive into the SuperDrive slot for Home folder and everything else. All good so far...

Now I want to upgrade the HDD as I need more capacity. I used CCC to clone my HDD then copied it across to the new HDD. I ran into problems when I switched the drives.

Can someone explain how and if I can do this successfully?

Thank you.
The simplest and most idiot-proof way would be to put your new hard drive in a hard drive caddy or enclosure. Plug it in, format it correctly in HFS+ with diskutility, and simply copy the whole thing over overnight.

Plop it in when it's done.

KlausFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
London
snaky69 - I already did this. Exactly as you described.

When I switched the drives I could not log into my admin account. So I logged in as a guest and relocated and assigned the new drive as my 'Home' folder. I logged out and re-logged into my admin account. Everything was really sluggish and unresponsive.

Perhaps there is something else I need to do?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
snaky69 - I already did this. Exactly as you described.

When I switched the drives I could not log into my admin account. So I logged in as a guest and relocated and assigned the new drive as my 'Home' folder. I logged out and re-logged into my admin account. Everything was really sluggish and unresponsive.

Perhaps there is something else I need to do?
Could OS X be simply indexing the drive, as it is bound to do when you put in a new one? That'd explain the sluggishness.

Depending on the amount of data it could take a few hours.

KlausFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
London
Could OS X be simply indexing the drive, as it is bound to do when you put in a new one? That'd explain the sluggishness.

Depending on the amount of data it could take a few hours.
I wondered this also. But this should only have a minimal impact on the OS and Apps right? They are all installed on SSD. So surely that should all be fine? This was quite a dramatic impact on performance, the machine was falling apart! I switched back to the original HDD now its fine again :/

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
any reason they need to be the Home folder?

I have a similar setup as you but the drive in the optical bay is really just the files in folders

example

a folder called Movies with all my movie files, and one called Music with all my music files etc.

KlausFunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
London
any reason they need to be the Home folder?

I have a similar setup as you but the drive in the optical bay is really just the files in folders.
Not really, no. This is just what was advised when researching how to do to it. SSD for OS and Apps. HDD for Home and everything else.

My SDD is a 120gb Samsung and already 80gb full.

I am assuming there are files on in the Home folder that are somehow associated with my OS and Admin account. Causing the problems I am having. Not allowing me to log in etc

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Not really, no. This is just what was advised when researching how to do to it. SSD for OS and Apps. HDD for Home and everything else.

My SDD is a 120gb Samsung and already 80gb full.

I am assuming there are files on in the Home folder that are somehow associated with my OS and Admin account. Causing the problems I am having. Not allowing me to log in etc
that might be the culprit, I have no issues with my setup but like I said I don't have any folders of files that OSX looks for or relies on