Macbook Pro HDMI out to DVI-D or Displayport?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebmall, Mar 4, 2014.

1. thebmall macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Just bought a new 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro.
    I have a several year old HP ZR24W monitor with DisplayPort, DVI-D, and VGA inputs.

I was curious if there was anyway of utilizing the Retina's HDMI output to one of these inputs on the monitor. I'm having trouble finding an adapter that does this.

I would love to keep both thunderbolt ports open for other things, but am beginning to think the only way to do that is by buying another monitor unfortunately.

Thanks for your time,
    Bobby

2. Lefty21 macrumors regular

I'm not familiar with anything that will source HDMI to a Mini DisplayPort input.

There are a few Thunderbolt hubs out there, but no cheap options unfortunately.

3. TonyYYZ macrumors member

You can get an HDMI-Display Port cable or adapter. They are readily available all over the place

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...isplay,aps,165&rh=i:aps,k:hdmi to displayport

4. Lefty21 macrumors regular

5. priitv8 macrumors 68030

6. TonyYYZ macrumors member

Huh?

His old HP Monitor has a DVI, VGA and Display Port. His MBP has an HDMI port. Why can't he use an HDMI to DP cable?

7. thebmall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, unfortunately even the cables marked "HDMI to Displayport" arent't exactly that...in the fine print they clearly say this is for a DisplayPort TO HDMI connection and not the other way around.

Seems like the hub is the only real way to go about it, unfortunately.

8. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

They are meant to connect an HDMI/DVI display to a computer with a DisplayPort, not the other way around. They are not just simple cables, there's actually a chip that converts the signal, and it only works in one direction. For more info, check this FAQ: http://www.displayport.org/faq/

As priitv8 already said, an HDMI to DVI cable is the best solution. HDMI and DVI are compatible, so no signal conversion is required, just a simple cable.

9. TonyYYZ macrumors member

I wasn't aware there was a non bidirectional cable for this. I just always assumed it didn't matter. In any case, an HDMI to DVI cable will work then.