MacBook pro hdmi port Xbox

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Justin941, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Justin941 macrumors newbie

Can you plug in a game console like a Xbox 360 into the RMBP hdmi port to use the retina display for gaming?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Justin941 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way I can use the retina display with an Xbox, perhaps via USB 3.0 to hdmi, or thunderbolt?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll have to use a TV tuner card. Remember, 1080p is far below the resolution of the retina display and it may not look very good.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

6. Justin941 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, the Shuttle or Extreme would work, but that will only show a 1080p image and is meant for video capture, rather than viewing. Response and refresh rates may be slightly lagged. I cannot say for sure since I only ordered the Extreme TB model on Tuesday.

8. intermedial macrumors newbie

No.

The Blackmagic Intensity is a video capture device... you would be seeing your Xbox display in the preview box of FCP/premier/blackmagic media express... there is also no audio.

Edit: snagged by the above poster, but since I own one, I'll just add that I don't think there is any noticeable lag. I use the Intensity to do a live video feed into Isadora for live theatre projection displays and performances. Less precise than gaming, certainly, but the actors are able to take their cues on time. (we have to use an audio interface and system to run the audio since we're doing this live)

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Sure, but you can still play it that way... if you're a masochist.

(Playing xbox games on Mac isn't the reason I ordered it by the way :) )

Edit: Thanks for the extra info in your edit. It's interesting that you don't see much lag. I can't wait to get mine.

10. endrju.m macrumors newbie

Have you ever tried to attach a XBOX and play? Was the lag noticeable? I'm looking for a way be able to use my Thuderbolt Display from time to time.

11. pmath macrumors newbie

No you cannot just plug the Xbox into the MacBook Pro 2012 via built-in HDMI port. There is no way to switch inputs on MacBook display.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Don't do it, even if you could (and I think there are some workarounds) the lag would kill any type of gaming you're trying to do there, especially if you're playing any online or FPS. Also the thought of physically connecting MS hardware to my MBP makes me feel a little nauseous.