macbook pro hdmi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hlysmksbtmn, Sep 20, 2009.

1. hlysmksbtmn macrumors member

when are macbooks going to come with hdmi built in? i just got a $1700 macbook pro and it's got no hdmi but my $500 pc laptop does! it sucks not being able to easily hook up my macbook to my lcd tv :(

2. CoolJoe57 macrumors newbie

CoolJoe57

3. Dreamail macrumors 6502

The problem with all these well intended adapter cable suggestions is that they are currently useless to connect to a TV as they only carry the video signal.
    None of these cables carries audio - which a true HDMI output would.

So these suggestions are no real solutions, half-solutions at best.

There is one cable which will splice USB and MiniDisplayPort into HDMI including audio, but it is not available yet nor is it clear how well this will work as perhaps not all audio output can be re-routed to the USB port.
    I can imagine that this solution would not work for Blu-Ray, if and when Apple ever releases Blu-Ray equipped MBPs.

We will just havet to wait and see.

On current unibody MBPs there isn't really any room to fit an extra port onto the enclosure without removing an existing port.
    So I think it is not very likely that HDMI will come as a direct port in any form.

It is IMHO more likely that at some point the integrated MiniDisplayPort will support audio (as its specifications allow for audio too, Apple just doesn't use it yet) and that Apple will offer an HDMI converter dongle cable that includes audio.
    At this point it is not clear if current MBPs can be retro-fitted with a software upgrade so their MiniDisplayPorts can support audio too. Knowing Apple the answer is probably no.

4. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

yep i was about to say, the minidisplayport is, as per apple's usual standards, crippled. basically now you have to have another ugly cable coming out of your audio out jack. i had to order a minidisplayport to hdmi cable along with a 3.5mm audio cable to suit my macbook. meanwhile my 'crappy' $400 pc can do both video/audio with a single hdmi cable.

5. hlysmksbtmn thread starter macrumors member

Finally, an intelligent response! This is kinda what I was looking for. I was aware of dvi->hdml adapter cables but like you said they do require a separate audio channel. It's very easy on the PC, just one hdmi cable and I get both video and audio. hopefully new macbooks will have a better solution.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Apple is not exactly unfamiliar with HDMI, having used it for years on Apple TV. Being able to play back HD iTunes content via a big screen TV would be nice for laptop owners. Maybe Apple would rather sell the Apple TV…

Hopefully (if) when they get round to adding Blu Ray (which would also require some low level OS changes) then HDMI will be added.

7. tdream macrumors 65816

Oh don't worry they will eventually. When they hummed and hawed their way through 3 more revisions and include blu ray. And then only include it in their top of the range model.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I can see Jobs or Schiller announcing (like it's a startling revelation or no one has ever thought of it before) that users like to hook their existing devices up to the television…

9. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I don't see any point in having both Displayport and HDMI on a MBP. I mean they are essentially the same thing, except DP doesn't have a licensing fee. Which is probably why Apple chose it.

I'm personally a fan of Displayport. It's just a lot more flexible and open than HDMI.

I agree that apple will enable audio over MDP, as well as a data stream eventually. We just gotta wait till Jobs decides that everybody wants it.

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The only problem with this is that there is a large and significant installed base of High Definition Televisions with HDMI and about zero HDTVs with Mini Display Port.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I don't see how display port is more flexible and open than HDMI when I don't see any HDTVs with DP at all.

12. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I mean flexible in terms of licensing.

Apple was able to make MDP at no cost, and it is being adopted into the spec.

It costs companys like 4cents per device they produce with HDMI. Dispayport is free.

I know which I would choose.

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Why not use a DVI? For a good sound experience you need a USB DAC anyhow, so you will be getting the sound through the USB.