Macbook Pro Heat and/or Fan Damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tcoobac, Oct 16, 2011.

1. tcoobac macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I've been dealing with this heat issue for a while, but I'm finally trying to fix it for good this time! I've got a 2009 Macbook Pro (first Unibody one they put out) and I love it, but the temperatures are worrying me. I've researched this extensively and found that high temperatures, especially for the CPU, are normal on this machine. I like to watch a lot of watch now on netflix, and it streams using silverlight. When it plays, stand-alone in Safari with nothing else going on, the temperature will sit around 180-195 if I've got the laptop with a clear vent, i.e. on my knees so the vent is clear on on the edge of my desk for the same reason. However, if I sit it flat on the desk so the vent points downward, the temp will rise, and today I saw 211 degrees F. Given that I've read the CPU shuts down at 230, I was concerned. So I downloaded smcFan Control and now running netflix w/silverlight and the fans on their max of 6200rpm, it only climbs into the 170s, which I'm more comfortable with.

So, my question is, if I run the fans at their max speed for 5-10 hours a week, could I do damage to the fans? Or should I spend that time with the CPU at or above 200 degrees F?

For reference, on default (apple controlled) fan settings with the streaming video, temperatures according to iStat pro and verified by a second temperature widget are as follows:

HD- 103-115
    CPU- 190-205
    CPU heatsink- 150-190
    Enclosure Base ~100
    Enclosure Base 2 ~ 100
    Enclosure Base 3 ~ 100
    GPU - 150-180
    GPU diode- 150-190

Same conditions with Fan on 6200-
    HD- ~100
    CPU- ~140-150
    CPU heatsink- ~120-130
    Enclosure Base- ~95
    Enclosure Base 2- ~95
    Enclosure Base 3- ~95
    GPU- ~120-130
    GPU diode- ~130-140

I really don't mind the fan noise as I use headphones anyway, but I just don't want to destroy the fans or cause any other damage. Also, for the first time today I went through and blew out the dust from the interior by removing the bottom pan and getting as much dust out as I could. Temps are post-dusting.

The other myth I was curious about was putting the whole machine in a freezer for a small amount of time, would that cause damage from the moisture?

Thanks for reading and your advice in advance!

-Tim

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Curious as well...My hard drive is much slower and now really loud and I run my MacBook pretty hard 24/7...fans get super loud now but it doesn't climb over 195...though it used to stay under 180~...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, you could.

Not necessarily, but moisture can collect on the electronics and cause a short when it melts.

4. WesTheMage macrumors newbie

Not a good idea. However, you can achieve a similar and controlled response by using an ice pack. Not the giant bulky kind, though. I use a water-based icepack wrapped in a thin-ish cloth (a dishcloth will do, really) and set the bulk of my computer on top of it.

Since water requires so much more energy to be heated than other materials, such as air or common metals, it takes a relatively short time to cool and can last for quite a while, so it can be more effective than the freezer in its own right. My ice packs generally tend to last me for the better part of two hours, then I switch them out. They're normally refrozen by the time I need them again.

5. burtjr macrumors newbie

It is not a good idea to put your computer int he freezer. Unless you live in a humidity free area, which we do not you will end up with moisture in your computer when it thaws.