Macbook pro heat problem

netfangwei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Xi'An, China
I've been experiencing the annoying heat on my new Macbook pro 13.3, the heat generated shortly after a fresh cool boot, and it's going up, when watching Youtube the situation would get worse, I measured the temp and the tool reported 65C and sometimes even 70c, does anybody have the same problem?

georgeadbb

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
im kind of worried about my new 13" too. I'll get to 80+ degree when im playing COD4. otherwise it stays within 40-60.

never heard of any other computer got as hot.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
im kind of worried about my new 13" too. I'll get to 80+ degree when im playing COD4. otherwise it stays within 40-60.

never heard of any other computer got as hot.
Other computers get hot too, but not many are as thing as MBPs.

CPUs draw a lot of power during CPU intensive tasks, this power generates heat, and in an enclosed space, heat can't dissipate as fast as in a better suited case, like a tower, where better ventilation is applied.
Also the aluminium is a good material to dissipate heat, a plastic enclosure would get you a hotter CPU.

If you use MRoogle or Chandler or any other search engine, you will find more threads and articles about CPUs, power, heat and all the shebang going with that area.

PS: Modern CPUs can withstand an internal temperature of up to 120°C (= 248 degrees Fahrenheit = 393 Kelvin).

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
My 17" i7 has been running incredibly cool. Last night I was working in Aperture, Photoshop, iWeb, and had a couple of Safari windows up as well as iTunes. I think the hottest I saw was 112f. When I am just browsing the web and not doing much else it idles at around 88f.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Coming from the PC world, this CPU temperature thing has me quite amused. You Mac guys are so laid back about hot CPUs. A temp of 80C is no problem. On the other hand, some PC homebuilders freak out if their quad i7 exceeds 50C when overclocked by 20% with all cores running at 100%. That's why their cases have a gazillion fans.

I'm in the market for a Mac, but can't decide between the following 3 scenarios that all cost about the same.
A- 17" i7 MPB
B- 13" 2.4GHz MPB with 24" ACD
C- 27" i7 iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.