Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Hi,

If you got a MBP in the last week or two, please state your experience regarding heat, whining, mooing, and any other problem you might have encountered. I am wondering if SOMETHING got fixed along the way.

Thanks.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I got my machine 2 weeks ago (it's a week 21) and it has no issues at all. No moo, whine, heat. It is the best notebook I've ever owned. Actually it is probably the best computer I've ever owned.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
I got my macbook pro two weeks ago, it is actually just turned 3 months old (I got a discount on it because it had been sold and brought back to the store for a refurb but had nothing wrong with it).

I have started to use core duo temp software to monitor the cpu temp. It has not gone over 58 degree C in two weeks. It does get hot, but for "normal" usage it is OK (doesnt burn you) if you have it on your lap. I class normal usage as iTunes, web browsing, email etc. Burning an iDVD project or heavy (+10gb file) iMovie editing it got too hot for me to keep on my knee comfortably but not burning hot. I even edited a +2gb PSD file in photoshop last week, it was slow but wasnt too hot to have sat on my lap.

Overall I think that people expect too much, this is a very thin and small (if a little heavy) portable computer, most of the time you should use this on a desk or flat surface. Like I am right now, and my wrists are a little warmed by the computer but nothing serious.

I am very happy with the heat of my MacBook Pro and it does not bother me 95% of the time.

Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.