Macbook Pro heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alansi, May 18, 2012.

1. alansi macrumors newbie

I have the early 2011 macbook i7
    Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

and i have been facing the usual heat problem for macbook since the first day i bought it and recently took it the Genius bar as it is still under the warranty but they advised me that it is normal.

but i really face this heat when i start calling someone with skype or facetime or even browsing normal websites. but specially when i start a skype call the fans runs so fast and make that noise, i tried this with my mate who got the same macbook as mine and same year but he doesn't get this problem at all.

is there any advice or you think i should go back to apple and ask for repair?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Seems normal. But do check out the above post for some tips on seeing what is eating up the processor. But skype will definitely heat up the computer, and i7s are known for being pretty hot.

4. alansi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick response, but i still wonder if anybody face this problem when using skype or facetime or any video call because so far it is only me who got this problem.

5. simsaladimbamba

It is normal, as you can see via Activity Monitor, video chatting uses a lot of CPU (it has to record and convert the video in real time) resources, thus the heat, thus the faster fans.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yep. Video chat is super CPU-intensive. That means lots of heat. Normal. Completely normal. And if those normal websites you're talking about use Flash, that is CPU intensive too.