MacBook Pro Heating UP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sambid123sam123, Jul 18, 2015.

1. sambid123sam123 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro without retina display running yosemite 13inch macbook
    so when i turn on my mac its on 49 degree c when i turn it on as shown by smc fan control app
    but from like a month when i start playing game or do any photoshop like work it goes upto 80+ degrees celcius
    is that normal?
    now it is on 63 degree c even if i am on chrome and no app is open Screen Shot 2015-07-18 at 7.34.13 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-07-18 at 6.40.01 pm.png

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Perfectly normal and within normal operating range.

Had you given the forum search a whirl, you would've found a few thousand(and I really mean a few thousand) threads on the same subject with the same answer.

Your computer is designed and able to take care of itself without your intervention. Let it do its thing while you do yours.

3. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

As he said you should be fine. Just keep in mind Macbooks run hot. They are all metal, and in a small enclosed area. But they are designed to work this way. If the Mac ever got too hot it would shut itself down, but that should only ever happen if a fan dies or something to that extent.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

[​IMG]
    This is Chrome v43.0.2357.134 (and a few other apps on OS X 10.6.8). OS X 10.9.x and newer is even more energy efficient. The machine is the Early-2011 17" Sandy Bridge 2.2 GHz Quad-Core i7 with 16 GB RAM. > 30 tabs, hardware acceleration: on.

The machine (cleaned and 2 new fans) is nearly inaudible. The temperature is normal, IMHO.

Attached Files:

5. sambid123sam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

okk... so its not a worrying thing right? should i take it to a store to get it check that is it normal or no? is that a good idea or its just a waste of time? :p

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

A complete waste of your and the store's time.

Your temperatures are normal.

7. sambid123sam123 thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha ok :p xD lmao thanks :v

8. ckWTB macrumors member

ckWTB

As others have said, 80C is well within the normal range. 80C would be considered on the hot side for light to medium workloads, while it would be considered on the cool side for heavy workloads such as gaming or intensive photo editing.

Mr. Retrofire posted a screenshot of Intel’s Power Gadget, which is an application that will show you if temperatures have become problematic in that they are causing your CPU to throttle/reduce performance. It can be downloaded from Intel for free: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

9. cbautis2, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Compare to Windoze and PC laptops, Mac's EFI tends to kick in later when the CPU is really hot (threshold of 80 degrees Celsius) while Windoze and their UEFI kicks the fans faster and much earlier at 50 degrees Celsius. The point of that is to optimize passive cooling saving battery life since the fans don't need to spin fast.

Right now on my 2011 MBA 13 i5-2557M @1.7 GHz, bootcamp, temps are much lower than on OSX (~50 Celsius compared to 60-80 degrees on OS X), but fans are much more active though. And that 50 degrees are already with playing mp3 music in the background.

Untitled.jpg