Macbook pro - help me like my machine!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rchip, Aug 3, 2016.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hello guys,

My first mac was a macbook air 2011. I absolutely loved it, never had a problem with it and was just a pleasure.

I then upgraded to a Macbook pro early 2015 13 inch. I don't love it in the same way I did my macbook air. I'm just looking for some advice to get it organised and running nice.

I use the mac for web browsing, photo editing in lightroom, word and excel documents for work.

This machine seems to crash on occasion, just lock up. word or safari I will sometimes have to force quit. Sometimes it runs slow and jerky and the beach ball appears. I find myself restarting this machine, I wouldn't say frequently, but every now and then, but I seemed to never have to do that with my macbook air.

I have some time off work now - so I'm thinking of getting my mac sorted out to be in good health incase there's anything bogging it down.

I'm thinking, organise or my files and delete the things I don't need ... then, over to you! Are there any programmes you would run? I remember something in disk utility that i did use once on my air? I know this question gets a lot of hate, but is there anything in the app store I should run incase I have managed to infect my system somehow?

Thanks for the help guys, it's still a great machine but it just hasn't been trouble free like my air!

Cheers,

Rich

2. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

How long have you had the computer? It definitely should not be locking up. If you ever get any error messages, keep them. If it were mine, I would probably reinstall the OS and see if the problems seem to go away. I might even go talk to Apple.

3. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Microsoft Office products make mine crash or freeze often. It's been happening for 20 years or so for me! :eek:

I just avoid using Microsoft software whenever possible. When I don't use MS, it doesn't crash.

I agree with xb2003, start from scratch and also don't download anything questionable.

4. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I didn't catch the part about MS Word until you said that. I have had the same experience with it causing problems.

If you have been an Office user for a long time, Pages and Numbers are a little tricky to get the hang of. But they are great programs once you learn them.

5. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Something very wrong there. I agree with the advice you should start from scratch with a clean OS install, it's dead easy to do. If you're seeing problems with only the OS installed you might want some advice from Apple.

6. MikeDance macrumors newbie

MikeDance

Skip Microsoft, that company is rubbish, I use iA Writter for docs and hopefully soon Affinity Publisher. But if you are having issues so soon, as stated above, restart your macbook, hold CMD + R until it shows the boot screen and re-install the OS. Otherwise go and book an appointment with the Genius. Ever since I've used a Macbook I've looked it and never looked back.

7. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

The retina screen is nice for a minute and the trackpad is made in heaven but other than that it´s quite a "meh"-product. This model also freezed randomly for the first year until Apple finally released an update a few months ago.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

First thought - how full is your SSD? If you've got less than than 10% free space, that could be causing some problems.

Open up activity monitor and see if anything is using lots of RAM or CPU time.

Viruses aren't really a concern, I've never run an antivirus on my Mac, so if there are good ones out there I wouldn't know.

9. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Wow, something's very weird. I recently got a new 13" MBP 8/256 base, and it's a wonderful machine, far superior to my 2015 rmb base. I have all of the 2016 MS Office on mine and absolutely no problems. I mostly use Word.

10. jerryk macrumors 68030

I use the full office suite with no issues on my 2015 RMBP. I don't use safari though. Firefox or chrome. But I almost never see a crash. So I agree with the suggestion to reinstall.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep that's not right as the others have said.

Reinstall OS X and if that doesn't work take it back to Apple, if it's within your 14 day return period then return it for a new one. If not it's still within warranty and they will fix or replace it.

12. jerryk macrumors 68030

Just don't forget to back it up before you take it in. Lately I have notice the Genius first solution is to return the system to factory new configuration.