macbook pro help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by N-Y, Jan 24, 2011.

1. N-Y macrumors regular

so i have a late 2009 macbook pro 15inch, my screen has been flickering.... they've tried to repair it 3 times, no luck, same issue.

So i called Apple, they're going to replace it with a 2010 macbook pro 15inch Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz. Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen. 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm.

Now would it have been worth it to upgrade for 210$ to 2.8GHz?

also is there any big problems with the 2010 model that i should be aware of?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You don't say how you use it but if you use it for anything but CAD/CAM or 3D Renderings upgrading to the 2.8GHz model is a total waste of money.

3. Politis macrumors regular

Yep, waist of money for something you will not notice. I also did my research before buying my pro 15 anti-glare and decided against it.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Dont worry about it! Be happy with the machine they give you for a few weeks, then sell it when Sandy Bridge comes out.

5. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

well my screen now is matte, and i love it, dont care for the glossy.... but why did you go against it?

6. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

sandy bridge?

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

New Macbook Pro widely rumored to be released in the coming weeks.

8. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

cool... for the basic user, worth the upgrade?

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If it's only a spec bump then no. If for some wild reason they redesign, or improve the battery life drastically then maybe.

If for some very wild reason they include SSD's standard or flash memory like the MBA, then absolutely. Don't count on that happening though.

10. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

also since im getting a new machine, should i use time machine to transfer everything through? which is basically my bookmarks, music, and pictures, or should i just transfer them manually and not transfer the entire time machine which i think would also include system settings.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Use the transferring option when you first set it up.

12. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

also has there been any problems with this 2010 model?, as far as video card cause i know its nvidia

13. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

dude I say be thankful for apple upgrading you to a brand new computer. They could of just given you a refurbished model.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Beat me to it lol. Consider it a $2000 gift OP

15. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

i am very thankful, trust me, its just a question lol if there was any known major problems.

16. Politis macrumors regular

matte not perfect just ok

Well, i mainly use it for word processing and internet research and downloads, some video viewing, no games. I dont think Mac gives much thought to the millions like myself who have laptops for these reasons, ditto for PC.
    I understood matte was easier on the eye and my previous pc is matte - or rather eggshell and i like it.
    Ideally I want eggshell screen, black bezel, lower resolution because this means larger letters.