Macbook Pro Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Polofiesta, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Polofiesta macrumors member

Hey, so I am looking to buy a Macbook pro very soon. I have a specific model I am going to get. The 15-inch model for $2,199. Now I am probably going to choose the 2.2 Ghz proccessor or is it worth it to go up to 2.3 Ghz? Then I will get 8GB of RAM. Now here is my real problem. Since there is this new technology with these Solid state drives. I want to know if it is worth it to go from 750GB standard 5400 rpm hard drive and switch to a 128GB SSD for $100 more. Now is that worth it? Here is what I am going to do with the laptop:
    -Final Cut Pro and many external Plugins
    -Visual Effects
    -Computer Programming like developing games for iphone etc.
    -Heavy rendering of files
    -Photoshop
    -Developing Websites
    -Working on my bed and laptop will often be on my lap

Now i've done some research with these SSD's and it seems great as there are no moving parts. Does this increase reliability alot? Also since its going to be on my lap will it decrease the amount of heat produced? which will further increase reliability? It seems alot to sacrifice over 500gb of memory and adding $100 for a SSD that is only 128gb. Please give me your insights. Thank you!

Also one more thing. Since the new Mac OS X(Lion) is coming out this summer, should i wait until its pre-installed in the Macbook pro's? How does it work if I buy a macbook pro computer now and would want to uprgrade later to the Lion? Will the cost be alot or is it free? Thanks!

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC723LL/A?mco=MjEyOTY4OTQ

2. aoaaron macrumors 6502

if you want phenomenal performance and fast file transfers - SSD.

if you want all your stuff in one place without any optibay hassle/external storage, go for the HDD (i went for 7200RPM).

just pick what you want. you didn't mention once your need to store media files on your PC etc... so maybe the extra 200-600GB isn't needed for you? if its not, go for the SSD. :)