Macbook pro help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zenkizero, Jul 12, 2012.

1. zenkizero macrumors newbie

I really want to make sure I get what is right for me.

I want to buy a 15 inch macbook pro with retina display.

I'm a photographer and i study photography so it would be my workhorse at university.

I shoot with a Nikon d800 so the files are quite big and use photoshop/lightroom usually for editing.

I was going to get :
    5-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    2.7 processor (or should i just stick with the 2.6?)
    16GB memory
    superdrive

would this be ideal for photography? I havnt upgraded the storage. I think i will get portable storage instead.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

stick with the 2.6, the cost difference vs. performance increase is such that you'll not notice a huge difference.

One thing to keep in mind, is that Adobe as not updated LightRoom to be Retina compatible. This is ok, if you're using an external monitor but once you rely on the retina display you'll be dealing with a less sharp image (until adobe updates LR).

I use LR and overall I'm very happy with it, I'm no professional photographer but I like LR and it works great with the rMBP

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I shoot a D800 and use a early 2011 15" MBP - it works fine. I don't think you'll see much difference in the 2.7 over the 2.6.

4. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, so save some pennies and go with the 2.6. Is it the same case with photoshop as it is with lightroom?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, and hopefully adobe doesn't keep us waiting too long.

To be honest the non retina apps don't look too bad. I've yet to use LR with strictly the retina display (the rMBP is hooked up to an external monitor). I'll probably work on it tonight and report back.

6. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

man, I wanna order one right now. It's just the worry of adobe taking longer than a few months to work with the retina display. I ideally would need to have adobe programs working to their full potential by September.

7. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

ordered one. Gone for 15 inch retina, 2.7, 16GB 512gb storage.

Hopefully adobe will sort themselves out quick. I guess i can connect my pc monitor up to it for editing.

Is the image less sharp then or is it just an issue with the icons, UI etc?